• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - Is hero's journey questline worthwhile? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
257¢
I was looking at the Hero's Journey series of quests in order to level up.

I'm not in a big hurry, nor am I a completionist - just want to play the game.

In your opinion, is it worthwhile doing the Hero's Journey series of quests?

Would you recommend any other quest chains and/or achievements that would be fun to do?

(As it has been a long time since I have played the game I would not know the areas to go to IF I was inclined to grind.)

Cheers in advance!

In my opinion you out level it too fast to stay in the zones completing it. The rewards for achievements don't get really good until later around Call of the Forsaken.

When playing a while back I thought it was a nice reintroduction to the game as there's a lot I missed out on, but as radraug mentioned, you can level much faster by letting your tank merc carry you for a while and then go back to pick up those quests / epics etc you missed out on throughout. But you mentioned you was not in a big hurry, so try it out and see how it feels, you may enjoy it. :)

Hit and miss really. I think its a good outline of where to go at the different levels but doing every quest in those levels might become a little tiresome.

Instead I like to look up the suggested zones on Allah and look under the quest tab and see what rewards I want to work towards. (Being a material Ranger girl the bling is what its all about :)

But I also really focus on the daily hot zones from Teek. Its just a simple kill 5 but you will go to different zones which is cool and you get a few pieces of armor equal to your level. And special augs drop there.

But once you hit 75 ish I would go thru the progression stuff to gain Heroic stats. Look under the COTF (call of the forsaken) expansion in Hero's journey and then look under "quests" and all those mercenary and partisan quests are what you want to do. But you can come back to them while you do other stuff too.

Then again with Anniversary going on I like to detour and get some of those done right now (the short cut stein quest for sure)

Since you are just returning from a long time away I would suggest you make a new level 1 and go thru the tutorial. You will get a free merc, some armor to last a while and basic intro to new stuff in game. If your over level 15 you can't get into that tutorial anymore.

Its always fun to revisit old zones, I love the music in Qeynos so its always nice to pass thru there now and again.

Don't forget to get your new maps - Goods maps and Brewells maps are the ones we all use.

WB and have fun!

The Hero's Journey is tied to AA in the "Special" Tab. It really depends on your goals and class role. For group content, I feel none of it matters. However, if you are melee class in a competitive end-game raid scenario, the extra ATK from Hero's Fortitude might be desired. I found this table data helpful to cherry pick the AA you may wish to go after.

V = Hero’s Vitality. Health Mana Endurance
R = Hero’s Resolution. STR, DEX, AGI, WIS, INT, CHA, Regen Mana/HP/End
F = Hero’s Fortitude. AC, ATK

Call of the Forsaken
Savior of West KaranaVF
Savior of West Karana IIF
Savior of West Karana IIIRF
Savior of BixieVF
Savior of Bixie IIV
Savior of Dead HillsVF
Savior of Dead Hills IIV
Savior of NeriakVF
Savior of Neriak IIF
Savior of Argin HizVR
Savior of Tower of RotVF
Lesser Challenger of the CallVRF
Accomplished Challenger of the CallR
Greater Challenger of the CallR
Legendary Challenger of the CallVF
Total COTF10510
The Darkened Sea
Savior of Arx MentisVF
Savior of Combine DredgeVF
Savior of ThuliasaurVF
Savior of DegmarVF
Savior of CavernsVF
Savior of Brother IslandVF
Savior of Katta (Deluge)VF
Savior of Tempest TempleVF
Challenger of the Dark SeasVF
SeafarerVRF
Lesser Hero of the Darkened SeaR
Accomplished Hero of the Darkened SeaR
Greater Hero of the Darkened SeaR
Legendary Hero of the Darkened SeaR
Total TDS10510
The Broken Mirror
Mirror MasterVF
Champion of The Broken MirrorVF
Paragon of The Broken MirrorVF
Challenger of The Broken MirrorVF
Lesser Spirit Armor (progression)VF
Savior of the Plane of HealthVRF
Savior of the Sul Vius: Demiplane of LifeVRF
Savior of the Sul Vius: Demiplane of DecayVRF
Savior of the Crypt of DecayVRF
Savior of the Crypt of SulVRF
Total TBM10510
Empires of Kunark
Tsaph's ChampionR
Hero of LceaniumR
Hero of The Temple of DrogaR
Hero of ChardokR
Hero of Kor-Sha LaboratoryR
Savior of LceaniumVF
Savior of The Scorched WoodsVF
Savior of Frontier MountainsVF
Savior of The Temple of DrogaVF
Savior of ChardokVF
Savior of Gates of Kor-ShaVF
Savior of Kor-Sha LaboratoryVF
Novice Hunter of the Empires of KunarkVF
Adept Hunter of the Empires of KunarkVF
Veteran Hunter of the Empires of KunarkVF
Total EOK10510
Ring Of Scale
ScaleBreaker R
Hero of Skyfire R
Hero of Overthere R
Hero of Gorowyn R
Hero of Veeshan’s Peak R
Savior of OverthereV F
Savior of SkyfireV F
Savior of Howling StonesV F
Savior of Sathir’s TombV F
Savior of GorowynV F
Savior of Veeshan’s PeakV F
Novice Hunter of the RingV F
Adept Hunter of the RingV F
Veteran Hunter of the RingV F
Ring of Scale SlayerV F
Total Ring of Scale10510
The Burning Lands
Savior of Stratos: Zephyr’s FlightV F
Savior of the Plane of SmokeV F
Savior of Empyre: Realm of AshV F
Savior of Esianti: Palace of the WindsV F
Savior of Aalishai: Palace of EmbersV F
Savior of Mearatas: The Stone DemesneV F
Savior of The Chamber of TearsV F
Savior of Doomfire: The Burning LandsV F
Hero of Stratos: Zephyr’s FlightV F
Hero of the Plane of SmokeV F
Hero of Empyre: Realm of Ash R
Hero of Esianti: Palace of the Winds R
Hero of Aalishai: Palace of Embers R
Hero of Mearatas: The Stone Demesne R
Hero of Doomfire: The Burning Lands R
Total TBL10510
Overall Total603060

It is not really tied to the heroic AAs. I've have done very little in hero's journey and have all the heroic AAs. I will suggest the Dark reign or light side quest help with a boost. Its really a matter of do you want the nerd points for doing it. BIC might be something to consider also give range and AC bump.

It is not really tied to the heroic AAs. I've have done very little in hero's journey and have all the heroic AAs. I will suggest the Dark reign or light side quest help with a boost. Its really a matter of do you want the nerd points for doing it. BIC might be something to consider also give range and AC bump.

Can you clarify what you mean by "It is not really tied to the heroic AAs"? Are you saying that you have maxed all 3 heroic AA and have not completed the achievements in this table? If so please show how to do that.

That table has nothing to do with Heroes Journey. They aren't tied together in any remote way. Now if you want to state that the table represent a method of doing the Heroic AAs then you have an argument. Your are mixing up the question that was asked. Specifically is Heroes Journey questline worth doing. There is nothing in the quest line that ties into Heroic AAs.

That table has nothing to do with Heroes Journey. They aren't tied together in any remote way. Now if you want to state that the table represent a method of doing the Heroic AAs then you have an argument. Your are mixing up the question that was asked. Specifically is Heroes Journey questline worth doing. There is nothing in the quest line that ties into Heroic AAs.

You're right, thanks for the clarification. (I feel like a bad ChatGPT prompt) The table above picks up after the "Hero's Journey" achievement ends.

Notable that Hero's Journey overlaps with the DoN special AA, which was recently changed in this months patch as stated below, only the DoN achievements are needed, not the rest of Hero's Journey.
  • Merged the DoN Progression AA lines, Gift of the Dark Reign and Gift of the Keepers, into a new faction-agnostic line called Gift of the Nest. The new line is functionally identical to both of the previous lines and is still earned in exactly the same way. However, the new line is no longer lost when switching faction. Additionally, the new line is now shared between Personas. The Advancement achievements associated with these AAs have also been updated so that level 60 characters with the proper faction and progression criteria can see them.
The description for the AA when maxed:
  • Your devotion to the Nest increases your total and maximum strength, stamina, agility, dexterity, wisdom, intelligence, and charisma by 10 points, your maximum base health (derived from your stamina) by 3%, your maximum mana and endurance by 200 points, the number of mystical effects that can affect you by 1, your chance of performing a critical melee hit with all skills by 40%, the chance your spells will apply critically by 1%, and grants a 1% chance to completely resist incoming detrimental spells.

I think what he means is that if you click the "achievement" button on your character screen it brings up what every one calls the Hero's Journey window which is just that.....the Hero's Journey. Originally it was a book called The Tome of the Hero's Journey" but then they discontinued that for some reason.

But on that window we see a category specifically called "Hero's Journey" and in THAT list there is the Dark or Light progression Heroic AA he says he got. So he is saying that is the only true "Hero's Journey"

All the other expansions listed in the overall page are considered part of the Hero's Journey, not just that one category named "Hero's Journey".

But like most things named Hero in the game there is confusion between things. Like Heroic character or AA or Augs etc. In fact the original chart from AD in 2015 called them "Hero's" not Heroic.

Hero's Vitality, Resolution and Fortitude Special AA Summary

So the point of this is tomAto - toMato.

One other thought about why portions of Hero's Journey may be useful... there's some unique type 3 augs that can be purchased in the progressed instances of The Void. I see these used to fill empty slots frequently with minor upgrades. 5% defence, 5% Kick, 5% flurry etc

In my opinion you out level it too fast to stay in the zones completing it. The rewards for achievements don't get really good until later around Call of the Forsaken.
I'm a returning player so everything past Luclin is new to me and I saw very little of Luclin before quitting. I was drawn to it because it was a road map to follow for someone lost in all the options and complex gameplay. Even though I'm only through the first stages, I'm leveling so fast on the quests that the gear upgrades are already outdated - level wise - by the time I get them. Don't get me wrong, the gear upgrades are still useful, but as you mention, you level through the content before the quests are done. I plan to stay with it for a number of reasons that are unique to my situation and goals, but I agree that so far it's been a bit disappointing for the reasons mentioned.

I was looking at the Hero's Journey series of quests in order to level up.

I'm not in a big hurry, nor am I a completionist - just want to play the game.

In your opinion, is it worthwhile doing the Hero's Journey series of quests?

Would you recommend any other quest chains and/or achievements that would be fun to do?

(As it has been a long time since I have played the game I would not know the areas to go to IF I was inclined to grind.)

Cheers in advance!
Not really relevant these days, but I'd still say the Coldain Ring quest line is fun. Especially the end war in Great Divide.

Discussion - Is hero's journey questline worthwhile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back