• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There is a suspension wave happening, we're still gathering information. Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question - Blocked spells, merc healers and merc tanks (1 Viewer)

Soandso2

RedCents
977¢
I'm not really sure where to place this question, so I'll start here. Moderators, feel free to move this to a more suitable forum if necessary.

One of the drawbacks of using merc tanks in combination with merc healers is that you cannot block buffs on mercs. This means the merc healer keeps casting heal-over-time and "promised" buffs on the merc tank.

I know very little about how the game mechanics work in EQ. Does having a blocked buff on yourself or on your pet prevent the merc healer from casting the buff at all, or will the buff just not land, which in turn forces the merc healer to cast an instant-duration heal? (i.e., does the merc healer still "waste time and/or mana" casting ineffective heals?)

I could easily write a Lua snippet that will remove any given buff from the merc tank as soon as it lands, but I fear this will just make the merc healer cast the buff again. Does anyone know?

I'm not really sure where to place this question, so I'll start here. Moderators, feel free to move this to a more suitable forum if necessary.

One of the drawbacks of using merc tanks in combination with merc healers is that you cannot block buffs on mercs. This means the merc healer keeps casting heal-over-time and "promised" buffs on the merc tank.

I know very little about how the game mechanics work in EQ. Does having a blocked buff on yourself or on your pet prevent the merc healer from casting the buff at all, or will the buff just not land, which in turn forces the merc healer to cast an instant-duration heal? (i.e., does the merc healer still "waste time and/or mana" casting ineffective heals?)

I could easily write a Lua snippet that will remove any given buff from the merc tank as soon as it lands, but I fear this will just make the merc healer cast the buff again. Does anyone know?
nah, unfortunately mercs aren't you or your pet, so they don't have blocked buffs

the #real answer is to not rely on mercs anywhere and everywhere possible

Well, merc healers are better than no healers. ;)

But back to the original questions:
Will blocking a buff on you or your pet prevent merc healers from even casting the blocked spell?
Will automatically remove a buff from the tank make the healer either cast the unwanted buff again and again and again? Or will it cast other, better, heals, out of necessity?

Well, merc healers are better than no healers. ;)

But back to the original questions:
Will blocking a buff on you or your pet prevent merc healers from even casting the blocked spell?
Will automatically remove a buff from the tank make the healer either cast the unwanted buff again and again and again? Or will it cast other, better, heals, out of necessity?
if you click off a buff the merc cast it will try to rebuff you when it has the opportunity to.

I am pretty sure that blocking a buff or a promised heal on you or your pet will prevent the merc from trying to cast it.
hrm, never heard that, and experienced the opposite - did that change or something?

your pet buffs don't get populated with merc buffs, for example

I am pretty sure that blocking a buff or a promised heal on you or your pet will prevent the merc from trying to cast it.
Honestly, without knowing anything, I had a feeling it would be like that, which was also part of the the cause for my original question. Auto-removing a buff from a merc, using a Lua, will not be the same as blocking the spell on you or your pet. Shame.

Ah, I see your question is not what I thought I was answering. I answered your second post but not in context with the original one.

There is no way to block buffs from mercs to mercs, just mercs to PC.

Old thread on EQ Forums about it.

Ah, I see your question is not what I thought I was answering. I answered your second post but not in context with the original one.

There is no way to block buffs from mercs to mercs, just mercs to PC.

Old thread on EQ Forums about it.
Yeah, I know that you cannot block buffs on merc. But I was curious to learn if auto-removing the buff from a Lua would have the same effect. But the general consensus seems to be that it does not. Blocking a spell on you or your pet, probably prevents the merc from even casting the buff. But just removing it from your other merc (or yourself) would just make the first merc cast the buff again and again and again.

On the other hand, this is a minor issue as I can live with having two healer mercs and one tank merc. Tanking nameds in LS T2 zones and the merc tank never once got below 80% health. (Ofc, using a pet to tank was even better but it is what it is.)

Question - Blocked spells, merc healers and merc tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back