• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Dude bankrolled his poker career selling his Druid (1 Viewer)

I'm shocked someone would pay that much for a Druid. If you Said Shaman, SK or Bard it would make more sense to me.

back then druids were one of the meta classes. Could track, charm, heal, nuke, forage, kite, port, best power leveler at the time before AE things really kicked off and they could quad kite.

They were one of the best toons to pull in plat back in the day.

SKs werent the darling tank yet (paladins were more common I feel back then when roleplaying was still common) and bards were tedious to play before /melody unless you were heavily motivated to charm kite or swarm.

back then druids were one of the meta classes. Could track, charm, heal, nuke, forage, kite, port, best power leveler at the time before AE things really kicked off and they could quad kite.

They were one of the best toons to pull in plat back in the day.

SKs werent the darling tank yet (paladins were more common I feel back then when roleplaying was still common) and bards were tedious to play before /melody unless you were heavily motivated to charm kite or swarm.
Actually the best player I ever met was a Druid. I was just making a joke. I got $1200 for my Epic SK go Iksar, go Iksar but that was almost 24 years ago.

This is the first job that I ever gave myself. I was about 13 yrs old and I started flipping EverQuest accounts. I would purchase them at low prices and sell them at high. Usually made about $1000 a month just doing that at a young age. It led to my first business which I made selling virtual items for various games, but in particular a big game at the time was Dungeon Defenders and I was making ~$3500/month running that. All of it was the catalyst which led me to own my own business and becoming a successful full-time reseller as an adult.

This game has been an enormous influence on my life, for better or for worse.

Wow, that is wild! $500 back then was pretty big money too.
Someone offered me $300 for my boots of flowing slime back in the day, I *think* this was pre PayPal, or at least before I had PayPal.

I passed cause was worried about getting scammed

When EQ was new i used to make and sell character's from time to time. This was before free to play so you had to buy an account I would level up to around 45 because the hell levels were not really worth the time to get to 50 when the difference in price was only about $50 but took way longer to get there (I could get 2 characters to 45 in the time it takes to get from 45 to 50 back then and a lvl 45 account sold for about $200-$300 depending on class) I could get more but i was more interested in fast turn over auctions so I set the price low with no minimum bid and usually did ok. I made lots of pet class groups so it was easy to pull and have all the mages etc assist and send in pets. then when the month was about to end just sell off all 6 accounts for about $1200-$1500 good extra hustle since i was a marine at the time only making $1000 a month and more than doubled that playing games on nights and weekends. But i was a grunt and deployed like 7 months out of the year back then so could only do it sporadically and this was back in the days of modem dial up so i had to have several computers and phone lines.

Used to make sks level them to 70 do epic and sell them when they could swarm entire zones, for a couple hundred a pop on eBay.

My 1st set of toons back in the day sold for 4k. WAR/CLR/SHM/MNK/NEC/ENC/BRD/DRU.

I sold them because I thought I was done with EQ forever. I moved on to WoW. All were on different accounts, all were max AA, and fully Solteris geared when I sold them. Some Dr in NY bought them. So no it is not crazy, farfetched, or anything of the sort. This happened a lot back then.

Actually the best player I ever met was a Druid. I was just making a joke. I got $1200 for my Epic SK go Iksar, go Iksar but that was almost 24 years ago.
The highest I ever got for an account was after epic quests came out and i made a mage and got the epic and sold the account for just under $1000, I bought a Beretta 96 Centurion .40 cal and 2 alpha booster boxes of Magic the gathering cards and i got 3 black lotuses and a bunch of great cards and later sold the other box for double the price I paid but should have held on to it cause they are like 200k+ now.

When EQ was new i used to make and sell character's from time to time. This was before free to play so you had to buy an account I would level up to around 45 because the hell levels were not really worth the time to get to 50 when the difference in price was only about $50 but took way longer to get there (I could get 2 characters to 45 in the time it takes to get from 45 to 50 back then and a lvl 45 account sold for about $200-$300 depending on class) I could get more but i was more interested in fast turn over auctions so I set the price low with no minimum bid and usually did ok. I made lots of pet class groups so it was easy to pull and have all the mages etc assist and send in pets. then when the month was about to end just sell off all 6 accounts for about $1200-$1500 good extra hustle since i was a marine at the time only making $1000 a month and more than doubled that playing games on nights and weekends. But i was a grunt and deployed like 7 months out of the year back then so could only do it sporadically and this was back in the days of modem dial up so i had to have several computers and phone lines.
Where were you stationed? I was also a Marine in 3dMAW El Toro/Miramar while I was playing EQ. I got out in 2001.

The one and only time I ever sold an account was back during early Kunark in 2000. Level 51 Enchanter for $1500. Then I went into boot at MCRD San Diego and didn't think about EQ again until I got out 4 years later.

my dad back in 2001 or so sold his necro for like $1500 or something around that.... might have been more he does not recall any more lol

about 6 yrs ago i sold my heavily well geared shm on (unsaid TLP) for 1300 to help pay some lawyer bills . shortly after that is when i discovered MQ

Back in the day when accounts were sold on Ebay (before Sony asked Ebay to ban the practice) and the lvl cap was 60 (Kunark and Velious), high level accounts with decent raid gear could easily surpass $1,000, specially high demand raiding classes (CLR, WAR, etc).

For a while, before China-based farmers "professionalized" the niche, some players made a full-time living by flipping characters: buy a fully decked out character on Ebay for $1000, strip all the tradable gear and sell it in-game for say 100k plat (plat is where the real money was), and then sell the half-naked character back on Ebay for $500 and, separately, sell the 100k plat in 10k chunks at around $150 per 10k chunk. By the end of the process, you'd doubled up your money in just a few days. Rinse and repeat.

Back in the day when accounts were sold on Ebay (before Sony asked Ebay to ban the practice) and the lvl cap was 60 (Kunark and Velious), high level accounts with decent raid gear could easily surpass $1,000, specially high demand raiding classes (CLR, WAR, etc).

For a while, before China-based farmers "professionalized" the niche, some players made a full-time living by flipping characters: buy a fully decked out character on Ebay for $1000, strip all the tradable gear and sell it in-game for say 100k plat (plat is where the real money was), and then sell the half-naked character back on Ebay for $500 and, separately, sell the 100k plat in 10k chunks at around $150 per 10k chunk. By the end of the process, you'd doubled up your money in just a few days. Rinse and repeat.
PlayerAuctions is where the action was at as well. Ebay had the potential to be too scammy, similar to today.

And this is why Heroic Characters were made. They saw the huge income potential from selling accounts but could not outright sell a whole account so they brought out Heroic's to funnel the money to them. 2014

Then they saw the "crafty" way players could move those to new accounts and sell that so they stopped account transfers a couple years later! 2016/2017

Sigh, and now Krono are disappearing. :shrug:

And this is why Heroic Characters were made. They saw the huge income potential from selling accounts but could not outright sell a whole account so they brought out Heroic's to funnel the money to them. 2014

Then they saw the "crafty" way players could move those to new accounts and sell that so they stopped account transfers a couple years later! 2016/2017

Sigh, and now Krono are disappearing. :shrug:

Krono are disappearing??

Yeah, for the last 2 months but it looks to be mostly on Teek. CS was refunding plat in amounts to what THEY thought the Krono was worth if the player filed a petition. About a week ago they posted they were "looking into it"
2 (ish) years ago, there was a issue on ALL servers with KR being delayed and/or not registering. They fixed it on the back end accounting/DB side (KR run different system/architecture). I havent heard from "reputable" sources that its happening again, however if it is, thats hilarious (we fixed it.. sorta).

2 (ish) years ago, there was a issue on ALL servers with KR being delayed and/or not registering. They fixed it on the back end accounting/DB side (KR run different system/architecture). I havent heard from "reputable" sources that its happening again, however if it is, thats hilarious (we fixed it.. sorta).
Its not being delayed when they purchase it or not registering. This is already purchased and in a players inventory. Players will come up 1 or more Krono short from what they had when they last played.

We encourage anyone who notices any missing krono to contact Customer Service at https://help.daybreakgames.com from the affected account as soon as possible. We are looking into the matter but have no other information to provide at this time.

Angeliana, Aug 5, 2024

Are there any games out there today that work this same way?

This convo takes me BACK! Feels like the equivalent of the US wild west years of MMO... I used to flip chars during the early days of WoW to put myself through college and support my, uh, even less healthy habits at the time.

My wife and I sold our first accounts in 2004, may have been 2005. A high level druid and a mid level enchanter with 220+ jewel craft, back when it was a big deal. I believe we netted around 900 bucks for both.

IRL - Dude bankrolled his poker career selling his Druid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back