• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Good group set up? (1 Viewer)

No dearth of options or discussion.

Generally diversifying tends to add more flexibility and in some cases more dps.

SK/SHM/BRD/BST (insert most other classes here... BER, MNK, ROG, MAG, NEC, etc) seems to be the community posterchild for good reason.

No dearth of options or discussion.

Generally diversifying tends to add more flexibility and in some cases more dps.

SK/SHM/BRD/BST (insert most other classes here... BER, MNK, ROG, MAG, NEC, etc) seems to be the community posterchild for good reason.

Thank you!

Thank you!
Oh, forgot to mention...

Really, anything with some forethought can complete all the group progression in this game (edit: as long as you have a PC tank, Healer, CC), but there may be certain mission achievements that are troublesome and require you to think outside of the box (no pun intended, but the boxing is more the issue than the class choice).

My set up is WAR/CLR/ENC/BST/ROG/ROG. I know other setups produce higher DPS, but I sacrificed that for control. I have not run into a mission up to ToL that I was not able to complete, and also get all the achievements.

My brothers use SK/CLR/BRD/BER/BER/BER and PAL/ENC/SHM/MAG/MAG/MAG. They blow my dps away, but we usually have to mix up our groups a bit to get them through some of the more control-based missions/achievements.

I have found I am incapable of reliably keeping any larger than a 3 toon group productive.

So with much experimentation (thanks to DBG banning my groups lol) I have landed on

SK, SHM, BRD. This group has proven to be very flexible for me.

SK, Shaman, Bard, 3 DPS. I prefer Rogue, Beastlord, Ranger

My personal Preference is Shaman, Pally, Bard, Necro, Mage, Beastlord. Three Rezzers and 3 Pet classes. Very versatile.

I was having fun with sk/clr/enc/wiz x 3, I've done similar with 3 mages, did one sk/shm/enc/zerk x 3. I've done war/shm/bst/rog/zerk/mnk. I worked a sk/shm/nec x 4 up to the 50s. I've done sk/shm/enc/bst/mage/nec as well.

As someone else said. Get a tank and healer, and you can do most anything with anything filling up the other spots. I'm just waiting on the plugin-that-shall-not-be-named to add the most glaring missing class from my lists.

there are a lot of posts on this topic. a lot.

imo - 3 of any class is too much, and you're robbing yourself of flexibility and utility, and even dps under certain circumstances.

2 of a class can be overkill, but as long as the 3rd dps offers utility/adps (like bst) you're fine.

more than 1 priest can often be overkill
more than 1 CC is almost always overkill

tank (Shd/War/Pal - preference really)
priest (shm for min/max, clr for lazy or sub 100)
CC (bard, unless you're really struggling with your tank - or F2P and your tank can't have good augs/gear)
dps1 (bangin dps, rogue, zerker, mage)
dps2 (another bangin dps, rog, zerker, mage)
dps3 (compliment to the dps/group - bst or necro (nec can be helpful for rezzes, mana, long fights etc)

having said that - anything that is holy trinity + 3 dps is probably going to be able to all group content with some effort - play what you like

there are a lot of posts on this topic. a lot.

imo - 3 of any class is too much, and you're robbing yourself of flexibility and utility, and even dps under certain circumstances.

2 of a class can be overkill, but as long as the 3rd dps offers utility/adps (like bst) you're fine.

more than 1 priest can often be overkill
more than 1 CC is almost always overkill

tank (Shd/War/Pal - preference really)
priest (shm for min/max, clr for lazy or sub 100)
CC (bard, unless you're really struggling with your tank - or F2P and your tank can't have good augs/gear)
dps1 (bangin dps, rogue, zerker, mage)
dps2 (another bangin dps, rog, zerker, mage)
dps3 (compliment to the dps/group - bst or necro (nec can be helpful for rezzes, mana, long fights etc)

having said that - anything that is holy trinity + 3 dps is probably going to be able to all group content with some effort - play what you like
Another good write-up from sic on a topic that has been beaten into the ground 20x over.

I don't care what you put in your group but Mages are GOAT and you oughta have a Bard.

(also SK/Shm/Brd/Bst/Zrk/Rog is the grinder)

How come you bangin DPS does not list wizards? I’m disappointed
because (broad statements here incoming) folks who are asking these kinds of questions don't have a bangin wizard, and don't know how to maximize a wizard to be so.

something like these:
war/sk, enchanter, clr, rog, ber, bst - requires nearly nothing
war/sk, bard, shm, rog, ber, bst - requires a little effort with shm heals and requires ensuring your tank isn't a trashcan for not having enchanter toolkit (clr/enc allow for a lot more slop / ignorance / new)
something like:
pal, dru, enc, wiz, mag, rng - this is probably going to require some knowledge, input, planning, and already have some things under your belt (gear, aa, etc)

in *general* people posting these questions aren't full aug'd including type 5s and 18/19s, they don't have their copIV, veil, mount/familiar, use statfood, mana reduction potions, they also sometimes are the same folks who will have their whole group use any fluff clicky they can - like a bunny, which is a dps loss, and can wipe your group if everyone is casting some bullshit clicky at the same time

folks who are determined can do a whole lot in an "unorthodox" fashion - this is one of the cooler things with eq

want to run a 6-shaman group? can probably/definitely be successful

because (broad statements here incoming) folks who are asking these kinds of questions don't have a bangin wizard, and don't know how to maximize a wizard to be so.

something like these:
war/sk, enchanter, clr, rog, ber, bst - requires nearly nothing
war/sk, bard, shm, rog, ber, bst - requires a little effort with shm heals and requires ensuring your tank isn't a trashcan for not having enchanter toolkit (clr/enc allow for a lot more slop / ignorance / new)
something like:
pal, dru, enc, wiz, mag, rng - this is probably going to require some knowledge, input, planning, and already have some things under your belt (gear, aa, etc)

in *general* people posting these questions aren't full aug'd including type 5s and 18/19s, they don't have their copIV, veil, mount/familiar, use statfood, mana reduction potions, they also sometimes are the same folks who will have their whole group use any fluff clicky they can - like a bunny, which is a dps loss, and can wipe your group if everyone is casting some bullshit clicky at the same time

folks who are determined can do a whole lot in an "unorthodox" fashion - this is one of the cooler things with eq

want to run a 6-shaman group? can probably/definitely be successful
Of course 6 Shaman would be successful 🥱🥱😁. Great post Sic!!!

As someone who had even recently asked a similar type of question, this is the real truth of it. The answer is "whatever you're actually going to spend the time building up."

There are definitely variations in the output of the classes, but they matter a lot less than the work put into the individual toon. If the question is what group would be the theoretical best, it's not relevant because the top-end is so much higher than you need it to be. The season vets don't say "play toons you like" because it's a feel good statement. They say it because you won't spend the time maximizing a toon you don't like playing, and so it won't actually matter.

I was having fun with sk/clr/enc/wiz x 3, I've done similar with 3 mages, did one sk/shm/enc/zerk x 3. I've done war/shm/bst/rog/zerk/mnk. I worked a sk/shm/nec x 4 up to the 50s. I've done sk/shm/enc/bst/mage/nec as well.

As someone else said. Get a tank and healer, and you can do most anything with anything filling up the other spots. I'm just waiting on the plugin-that-shall-not-be-named to add the most glaring missing class from my lists.

The RGMerc bard revamp is worth checking out. If you're using /boxr for group commands it feels very similar.

brd/shm/4xwar. dual wield war tanks, the other wars each get a different 2hander type. Does more than enough DPS, low AA counts to deal with as well. It's more effective than it should be honestly.

I run this:
War - for hitting all things
Clr - to keep everyone alive
Mage - dps/coth and pet tank if needed
Ench - mez it all!
Wizzy - ports and nukes
Nec - body recovery/summons/tricky pulls

In my back pocket I also have leveled/geared:
Rog - stabby stabby and good for getting collection pieces
Shaman - for giggles cause she is a frog
Druid - was my original character that I keep up to date

Question - Good group set up?