• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There is a suspension wave happening, we're still gathering information. Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question - Got a new computer... (1 Viewer)

Soandso2

RedCents
977¢
Got tired of 3-boxing, so I got a second computer. This new computer will run my main toon, whilst the two secondaries will remain on the old computer.

Now, which is the easiest way to set MQ up on the new computer, so I have the same plugins enabled, configurations etc? Which files do I need to copy and so on? :)

I copied the entirety of my EQ and RG directories over after doing a new install. All worked great!

1. Use the same browser on both machines and enable browser sync and then navigate to RedGuides and make sure both machines can login to this site.
2. Setup file sharing between the 2 machines or be prepared for constantly doing sneaker-net with a flash drive.
3. Copy your existing Macroquest folder to the new machine. Make sure you use exactly the same directory structure as the old machine.
4. Download the Redguides installer and run it and ensure you point to the same folder you used on the old machine.
5. Launch Redguides and the browser window should open and offer to authenticate you to Redguides.
6. Everything should now be exactly the same on the new machine as the old machine.
7. Prepare to be frustrated as changes made on one machine will not automatically become effective on the other. (Unless you sync the 2 installations using a 3rd party file sync program!)

Got tired of 3-boxing, so I got a second computer. This new computer will run my main toon, whilst the two secondaries will remain on the old computer.

I am a little confused with the statement you made here. 3-boxing implies you are running 3 accounts at once (at least in todays terms it means this). Not necessarily that you are running multiple physical machines. So, by saying you are tired of 3 boxing, so you got a secondary machine doesn't compute in my head. Because you are still 3-boxing, just with more hardware involved? And assuming your computer is newer than say 15 years old, you should be able to run multiple instances of EQ on one computer. I doubt it is a performance issue given that. So, I am making a general assumption here that what you are really getting at is that you want to see your toons on separate screens? If that is the case, why not use ISBoxer with the whole screen window layout setup? This will allow you to see all toons while remaining on one computer. Cheaper than purchasing new hardware, and less space requirements for said additional hardware. Just a thought.

1. Use the same browser on both machines and enable browser sync and then navigate to RedGuides and make sure both machines can login to this site.
2. Setup file sharing between the 2 machines or be prepared for constantly doing sneaker-net with a flash drive.
3. Copy your existing Macroquest folder to the new machine. Make sure you use exactly the same directory structure as the old machine.
4. Download the Redguides installer and run it and ensure you point to the same folder you used on the old machine.
5. Launch Redguides and the browser window should open and offer to authenticate you to Redguides.
6. Everything should now be exactly the same on the new machine as the old machine.
7. Prepare to be frustrated as changes made on one machine will not automatically become effective on the other. (Unless you sync the 2 installations using a 3rd party file sync program!)
My hair turned gray(er) seeing the words sneaker-net again. I think it's been well over 20 years since I heard someone say it.

If you are maintaining both, definitely look into a third party syncing tool (be it dropbox, syncthing, a myriad of options)!

Also, may be helpful to ensure both computers are running the same resolutions/etc.

I am a little confused with the statement you made here. 3-boxing implies you are running 3 accounts at once (at least in todays terms it means this). Not necessarily that you are running multiple physical machines. So, by saying you are tired of 3 boxing, so you got a secondary machine doesn't compute in my head. Because you are still 3-boxing, just with more hardware involved? And assuming your computer is newer than say 15 years old, you should be able to run multiple instances of EQ on one computer. I doubt it is a performance issue given that. So, I am making a general assumption here that what you are really getting at is that you want to see your toons on separate screens? If that is the case, why not use ISBoxer with the whole screen window layout setup? This will allow you to see all toons while remaining on one computer. Cheaper than purchasing new hardware, and less space requirements for said additional hardware. Just a thought.
Ah, right. I meant "got tired of running 3 toons on the same laptop without any extra screen". So I got a new laptop on which I run the main toon, and the two secondaries stay on the old laptop. So 3-boxing, 2-boxing or whatever. I ran 3 accounts on one machine, now I run 3 accounts on 2 machines, call it what you will! :D

Ah, right. I meant "got tired of running 3 toons on the same laptop without any extra screen". So I got a new laptop on which I run the main toon, and the two secondaries stay on the old laptop. So 3-boxing, 2-boxing or whatever. I ran 3 accounts on one machine, now I run 3 accounts on 2 machines, call it what you will! :D
will you think about boxing 6?

will you think about boxing 6?
No, then I would have to get more computers :P
But I COULD perhaps dual 2-box... two toons on each machine. Running 3 toons on one machine worked, but was bothersome. Running two on one machine was not so bothersome, however. So I COULD possibly start up a fourth toon. Not sure what that would be then. A real tank, perhaps. Or a real healer. Instead of running merc tank and two merc healers. :)

Common wisdom around here seems to be that the goal is to actually have your automation/comfort level/skill at implementing it to the point where one screen is all you need. As time goes on, I find myself looking at my second monitor less and less.

I have a mouse bind to windows task view and it helps immensely when I do need to bring up another toon (for random stuff). Others use keybinds.

Dannet is amazing for broadcasting, and combined with things like Button Master, I can tell most toons to do whatever the hell I want. If I do it more than a couple times, I hotkey it.

Ground spawns, trades, hails and dialogue, the like, can all be handled with the insane amount of resources available here.

Not trying to push you into anything, do what's fun, but the horizon may be a little broader than you think! Enjoy!

No, then I would have to get more computers :P
But I COULD perhaps dual 2-box... two toons on each machine. Running 3 toons on one machine worked, but was bothersome. Running two on one machine was not so bothersome, however. So I COULD possibly start up a fourth toon. Not sure what that would be then. A real tank, perhaps. Or a real healer. Instead of running merc tank and two merc healers. :)
A few other have said it, but I would suggest working on things like your HUD, automation, and hotkeys so you only need 1 toon, your driver, in the foreground. I'm running multiple groups on 1 PC in raid content and almost never alt tab to anyone but my driver toon. There are some idiosyncrasies with some automation suites as well, where life will be much easier running everyone on a single box.

I suppose the question should also be asked. What are the specs of each of these computers?

( I say that, because of all you want is a 2nd screen. Perhaps simply adding a display to your laptop may be the easiest solution )

Question - Got a new computer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back