• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - How do you end up occupying your free time when you take a break from EQ or game of choice? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
943¢
Since my play time got downgraded due to life happening, I find that I miss logging into EQ. My limited time keeps me from logging in and getting to invested in anything. I've found that I fill in those 10-20 minute gaps with communicating with my loved ones, or playing one of the 3 simple, mindless games I have installed on my phone. And when I do get larger chunks of time, I find that I am pestering the Wife for projects to do when I am idle. While I can sit idle, it appears that I'm not good at it. The missus gives me projects to do, but recently, my daughter went off to college (so we are empty nesters now) and from what my wife tells me, I'm a cranky, irritable brat. So the wife and the wee-one decided I was gonna build the 10x20 lean to style shed I decided I wasn't going to build earlier this year. So now, I've started building a shed, with my first big delivery from Lowes arriving some time today.

So, when you take a break, how do you spend your time?

Since my play time got downgraded due to life happening, I find that I miss logging into EQ. My limited time keeps me from logging in and getting to invested in anything. I've found that I fill in those 10-20 minute gaps with communicating with my loved ones, or playing one of the 3 simple, mindless games I have installed on my phone. And when I do get larger chunks of time, I find that I am pestering the Wife for projects to do when I am idle. While I can sit idle, it appears that I'm not good at it. The missus gives me projects to do, but recently, my daughter went off to college (so we are empty nesters now) and from what my wife tells me, I'm a cranky, irritable brat. So the wife and the wee-one decided I was gonna build the 10x20 lean to style shed I decided I wasn't going to build earlier this year. So now, I've started building a shed, with my first big delivery from Lowes arriving some time today.

So, when you take a break, how do you spend your time?
I really enjoy the outdoors - hiking, nature, fishing, etc --- I don't get a lot of time to do those things - but being able to spend time out in the garden or with our animals has really been great in scratching that itch > check out my sheepies/chickens/ducks/lizards/snakes <

I'm a renter forever in the US, as I prefer to stay unencumbered (I've worked around the world and intend to do so again, and my retirement plans don't include this country), a lot of the typical projects are a no-go for me.

I usually end up wanting to spend more money on guns or some other dumb shit. Maybe I exercise a little more than normal?

EQ, other MMORPG's, and games like it (even some mobile/gacha RPG games, if you have tight discipline/no major gambling issues) are cheap as hell as an adult hobby, I've found. My other "not blow money" hobby is puzzles. I loved them as a kid and rediscovered them as an adult. They have very similar reward/dopamine mechanisms I think. I've glued/framed some of them, and have made them as gifts/on request for friends/family members.

I Build, Collect, and restore firearms from AK47's to civil war era. Yes I identify as ammosexual. Here is just a very small part of my collection. Only have so much floor space.

20190110_125153.jpg

@Sic Before moving to the south, I lived in MD and we had a small 10x20 garden area that I used to love to go and putz around in. We had alot of..... vegetation around the house from the previous owner, so that kept me occupied as well. I do enjoy spending time out and about. Most of your livestock is good to go, but anything with scales creeps me out and snakes are a non-starter for me *grins*.
@Algar I remember when the missus and I first met and she found out I was a Geek. Computer, DnD and a variety of other RPG's and MMORPG's. She started out giving me a hard time until I told her the alternative was me going out with my buddies to the clubs. While the missus still doesn't understand the attraction for me, it works that the wee-one has grown into an RPGer and computer game nerd. But the missus has come around to how much money I don't spend, etc.
@tfnaaf Wow. Nice collection. It reminds me of a buddy of mine that lives up in Pennsylvania. He's got a huge selection of long arms and pistols. He even purchased a world war 2 machine gun. he had to get licensed for that. Thats a nice collection, even if its not everything you own.

I always thought it was super interesting how big the overlap of gun enthusiasts and long term EQ players is.

I spend the bulk of my time away from EQ in the shooting sports (3 gun, Sporting Clays)
The wife and I have found a group of people we go to the offroad parks with in our Side By Side and do what I like to call "yeehaw shit".

I do outside things (hiking, camping, yard/forestry work), tinker with my Jeep, tinker with my Fairlane, some long range shooting. Hunting season turning over, upland bird, then migratory waterfowl, then deer.

I've been slowly designing the 10 year plan for my home these days. Otherwise, tending my apple/grape/plum/walnut orchards, expanding the asparagus and strawberry patches. Cutting out all the cherries from the previous owner, because they shouldn't be grown here in the first place due to blight...which they all contracted. Building a greenhouse, which will allow me to add some citrus to the mix. Also, restarting my childhood hobby of model railroading and archery, since I now have the land and space to set all of that up :P

I've been slowly designing the 10 year plan for my home these days. Otherwise, tending my apple/grape/plum/walnut orchards, expanding the asparagus and strawberry patches. Cutting out all the cherries from the previous owner, because they shouldn't be grown here in the first place due to blight...which they all contracted. Building a greenhouse, which will allow me to add some citrus to the mix. Also, restarting my childhood hobby of model railroading and archery, since I now have the land and space to set all of that up :P
What zone are you? Doing any native persimmons?

I always encourage (regardless of EQ) to find a hobby that "creates" a tangible item. Doesn't have to be major or big, and obviously depends on finances. Some ideas include:

Building models. (40k is big, but I still enjoy building old WWII planes and what not)
Wood-working. Big or small, dependent on space available, finances, etc... but you can buy a dremel, and a small block of nice wood and carve some really cool figures out of them. (Check youtube) Doesn't have to be actual usable furniture or anything.
Arts / Crafts; literally unlimited to what you find enjoyable. I took a couple of random architecture classes when I first started school, and I find some enjoyment out of using some graphing paper to draw up some cool "theoretical" buildings. (My wife enjoys paint-by-numbers and this thing called diamond-art.)

Hardest part of a hobby is figuring out exactly what you enjoy doing and can afford both financial, and time-wise. But, spending a few hours on something I can put on a shelf gives me infinitely more satisfaction than spending a week grinding another toon up does.

What zone are you? Doing any native persimmons?
6a, I'm around the kansas city area. I haven't considered looking for persimmons, but I don't see any in the lots around me either.

I am also looking to start some PAWPAW, but they require shade when they're young so it'll have to wait until I'm closer to retirement as I will then be around to manage them properly as I travel a LOT for the job.

Almost forgot, I put in a cluster of red mulberry this year, and black the previous year, because I couldn't get the red that year :P Red are native, so trying to go all native as much as possible.

6a, I'm around the kansas city area. I haven't considered looking for persimmons, but I don't see any in the lots around me either.

I am also looking to start some PAWPAW, but they require shade when they're young so it'll have to wait until I'm closer to retirement as I will then be around to manage them properly as I travel a LOT for the job.

Almost forgot, I put in a cluster of red mulberry this year, and black the previous year, because I couldn't get the red that year :P Red are native, so trying to go all native as much as possible.
Persimmons grow fine there, just they are slow growing iirc. My grandma grew up there about, they are all over at the old homesteads.

Aye, I've added it to my list to take a look at since I simply didn't think of it on my own. I have 15 years till normal retirement, so plenty of time to get the forest up and producing.

Before I came back in 2015? 2016? Anyway, before that I took a multiyear break from EQ and got heavily into quilting. And of course there's always reading. Joined the library for kindle readable books.

I'm just northeast of the city myself!

Aye, I've added it to my list to take a look at since I simply didn't think of it on my own. I have 15 years till normal retirement, so plenty of time to get the forest up and producing.
yeah, we would like some pawpaw on the property too - there are native - and we also are trying to have as many native things here as possible

I am in Lutherville, anywhere close to you Sic?
I'm on the eastern shore these days

yeah, we would like some pawpaw on the property too - there are native - and we also are trying to have as many native things here as possible

I'm on the eastern shore these days
Ha, I worked for duPont (textile fibers) in Seaford, DE for a couple of years.

I run a business, update things continuously around the house (serious fun automating things with smart devices), and make sure I keep in contact with family and long time friends. Going out to do community service by providing those in need with what they do not have.

Honestly, gaming is good, but like anything else moderation is important. Filling free time between games with more games isn't what I call a good life. Helping people, and being there for my family is more important than building achievements in a virtual environment. But that's just me.

I run a business, update things continuously around the house (serious fun automating things with smart devices), and make sure I keep in contact with family and long time friends. Going out to do community service by providing those in need with what they do not have.

Honestly, gaming is good, but like anything else moderation is important. Filling free time between games with more games isn't what I call a good life. Helping people, and being there for my family is more important than building achievements in a virtual environment. But that's just me.
Community is important 💯

The fam also recently started volunteering at an animal shelter and it is pretty rewarding

Since I was suspended I’ve been taking a little break and my wife decided she wanted me to refurbish an old kitchen table and chairs because she’s tired of the perfectly fine set we already have.

Sanded and stained the table once but didn’t like how it came out so had to strip and sand and stain again …so much fun!!!

So yea I’d say chores from the wife occupy my free time lol

Since I was suspended I’ve been taking a little break and my wife decided she wanted me to refurbish an old kitchen table and chairs because she’s tired of the perfectly fine set we already have.

Sanded and stained the table once but didn’t like how it came out so had to strip and sand and stain again …so much fun!!!

pics or it didn't happen!

I Build, Collect, and restore firearms from AK47's to civil war era. Yes I identify as ammosexual. Here is just a very small part of my collection. Only have so much floor space.

View attachment 64669
That used to be my hobby too but when I got out of the Marines after 15 years I moved to Illinois to go to school and the stress of work and getting a computer science degree strained my brain and I ended up in the VA mental hospital when I got back I found out they (the police my wife called) took my guns so now I have no guns but a crap ton of automatic ammo reloaders and support equipment for a hobby I can't do in this state.
disappointed bummer GIF

because she’s tired of the perfectly fine set we already have....... LOL Welcome to my life.

life other than EQ? I call that work.
I just spent 3 hours sorting through my bank looking up old quest items and destroying them if the reward was not worth finishing, then stacking tradeskill items with what is in my bank depot to make sure I don't have multiple stacks in several places wasting space. and that was just for 1 of my dozens of characters across 3 remaining accounts. EQ can be work sometimes too.

Live feed of me trying to clean my bank.
Problem Oops GIF

That used to be my hobby too but when I got out of the Marines after 15 years I moved to Illinois to go to school and the stress of work and getting a computer science degree strained my brain and I ended up in the VA mental hospital when I got back I found out they (the police my wife called) took my guns so now I have no guns but a crap ton of automatic ammo reloaders and support equipment for a hobby I can't do in this state.
disappointed bummer GIF
That's messed up! My kids would be seriously pissed if they took all mine. Luckily I live in one of if not the most pro 2A states. My wife is also pro 2A, this helps tremendously. The attached photo is an example of how pro 2A our state is. I've often open and conceal carried long guns, and or side arms inside our capital.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240918_142429_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240918_142429_Facebook.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 0
I take the spring and summer off EQ usually. I let my accounts go silver. (I do log in and do the anniversary tower though each month :P)
I use my spare time to ride my motorcycle and swim in my pool.
IMG_4696.jpg
Winters are for EQ.

That's messed up! My kids would be seriously pissed if they took all mine. Luckily I live in one of if not the most pro 2A states. My wife is also pro 2A, this helps tremendously. The attached photo is an example of how pro 2A our state is. I've often open and conceal carried long guns, and or side arms inside our capital.
1726890768257.png
From what I was told it is a federal law and even pro2a states enforce this law that if the cops come and throw you in a holding cell and transport you to a hospital and are evaluated by a doctor to be a danger to yourself or other then you will lose you rights everywhere in the US.

its impossible to get your guns back when there is police body cam footage of you making bets with cops that you can kill all of them before they kill me and that was the only way i was leaving my room and my room had guns and swords and kbars all over the walls most within reach of where I was sitting. All because my bitch wife wanted to "teach me a lesson", she has all her guns by the way but they are in her safe and she changed the combo.

EDIT: what sucks the most is the cops STOLE my 6 Marine kbars. They were taken but were not on the list of items removed from the house my favorite one was a retirement gift from my unit that was a custom made kbar survival kit that had a garrote wire/saw, compass, fire starter, trap wire, fishing/fly kit etc. in a custom leather sheath valued at over $400 that just magically disappeared while I was handcuffed to a bed.
the cops said it isn't in our records that it was removed from your house and if you try to press charges you will lose and probably pay more in lawyer fees than the thing was worth. Cop speak for "go fuck yourself that's what you get for threatening cops that break down your door and steal all your guns".

Question - How do you end up occupying your free time when you take a break from EQ or game of choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back