• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - I'm back! Just how dumb would a bunch of mages be? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
123¢
Anyone here have experience running 4 or 5 or even 6 of the same class?
I am really wanting to do a bunch of mages, how dumb of an idea is this? You think throwing a cleric or utility class somewhere in would be a less dumb idea?

I am really wanting to do a bunch of mages, how dumb of an idea is this? You think throwing a cleric or utility class somewhere in would be a good idea?
by and large - any more than 2 of the same class is overkill and you're likely throwing away utility and flexability

but if you like it - knock yourself out

Welcome Back!

Prepare yourself for petitions if you do that. Heat is on for MQ as it is. Why give yourself more exposure?

Also, barring that, it's a good time. Until you run into a situation where you really need another utility that isn't mage.

I am really wanting to do a bunch of mages, how dumb of an idea is this? You think throwing a cleric or utility class somewhere in would be a less dumb idea?
@Defcon i’d argue 3x pet classes, war/sk, enc, cleric is uber…that’s ideal to fly under the radar as that’s manually boxable in rl…i did that for 20x years manually before o fucked up my wrists…

If you dont overautomate you’ll be fine.

Stacking mages is great. The last few years I've done shd + brd + shm + 3x mag. The mages complement each other with synergy + elemental form DPS that it works well. Covenenat/Alliance hasn't scaled well recently so I stopped using it. My mage pets could disperse to alleviate pressure on the Shadow Knight. A vid of one of the recent missions of this is here (Note that I'm playing with a friend who replaced one of my mages with a necro):

A few years ago I did enc + dru + 4x mag. It was very brittle because the mage pets could not hold aggro on more than a single mob so 5+ mob pulls were difficult where they would be trivial with a single plate tank. The druid was not a good enough healer for intense situations. If I did it again I'd swap the druid for a shaman. When popping the enchanter's ADPS cooldowns the DPS was great, but otherwise it was just OK for an organized 6box group. A vid of it is here:

For the shd/brd/shm 3x mag group, if you replaced any of the shd/brd/shm with a mage you'd experience a drop in either survivability or DPS. Note that the bard and shaman's auras both cooperate with the mage's aura to improve your swarm pet's DPS and the bard's synergy stacks well with the mage pets since it hits all 5 of the pets in this group.

Last edited:
I will run 5 mages and a shm or a 6 mage group
The Geo camp in Heros forge is a great place for it
Elementals and single pulls

IRL - I'm back! Just how dumb would a bunch of mages be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back