• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Interface scaling? My eyes are killing me. (1 Viewer)

RedCents
70¢
Hey folks, this is my first post here. I'm trying out EQ again after being away for a long time, and doing so on Project Lazarus. I played back in the Luclin/PoP days, when I was in middle school. I was on Firiona Vie, in the guild League of Honour, if anyone is familiar.

I'm asking this here because my searches have failed me. Running EQ on a modern system with modern resolutions is leading to itty bitty text that I can't seem to get to scale up. Is there an easy way to boost the font size, or scale up the interface relative to the resolution? When I've looked for answers, I see info about a new UI engine on the main version of EQ, but nothing about emulated versions.

Feel free to delete this if this is the wrong place to ask, or if there's something super obvious I'm not seeing.

I've used a program called Lossless Scaling (available on Steam for like, 7 bucks) to solve this problem with older games like LOTRO and DDO and it works really great for those. I've never tried it for EQ but there's no reason to think it wouldn't work.

the old xml ui has everything hardcoded to size, and its like super tiny at big resolutions, and even tiny for old people like me with bad eyes, the only thing you can do is check out eqinterface and check this category if anything there could work for you

I've used a program called Lossless Scaling (available on Steam for like, 7 bucks) to solve this problem with older games like LOTRO and DDO and it works really great for those. I've never tried it for EQ but there's no reason to think it wouldn't work.
i have tried it on eq and cant get it to work, might be able to on emu but not live.

The good news is your coming back!! The bad news is you got older and your eyesight got worse.

Some of the windows can be adjusted but not real well. Like you can size the hot buttons and the chat font. But the rest your stuck with.

As mentioned above you can use the custom UI but other than that.................when I worked at a major internet company they had full screen magnifiers that you would just put over your computer screen to make it look bigger. Maybe look into that?

i have tried it on eq and cant get it to work, might be able to on emu but not live.
Aw bummer. I think for Live EQ I use the build-it windows "High DPI scaling options" but to be honest I'm not real certain of that. I'm running at 3440x1440 without much trouble.

(I too am in the "what do you mean my eyes are just gonna keep getting worse?" age club)

I wasn't ready for the age gut punches :sweat:

But I appreciate the quick answers so far. Thanks! I will look at the options you've suggested. In the meantime, I just rediscovered the /chatfont command. Since chat and event text were the worst offenders, this can hold me over while I experiment.

In the meantime I guess I'll look and see if old folks homes will take someone in their mid 30s.

I wasn't ready for the age gut punches :sweat:

But I appreciate the quick answers so far. Thanks! I will look at the options you've suggested. In the meantime, I just rediscovered the /chatfont command. Since chat and event text were the worst offenders, this can hold me over while I experiment.

In the meantime I guess I'll look and see if old folks homes will take someone in their mid 30s.
Aw shucks, we were funnin with ya! Glad you didn't get upset.

Btw if you right click in your chat window the drop down will show you another way to adjust that chat font. I found that way easier since it allows you to quickly see which level your on. (psst 5 is normal) ;)

I have 2560x1440 monitors and use windows scaling to scale absolutely everything to 150%
Maximized window and it ends up running at 17 something by 900ish (still use taskbar)
I should probably just run the monitors in 1920x1080 lol

Last edited:
The first thing every returning old schooler does is /chatfontsize 5 🤣

Cant See George Lopez GIF by Golden Globes

Hey folks, this is my first post here. I'm trying out EQ again after being away for a long time, and doing so on Project Lazarus. I played back in the Luclin/PoP days, when I was in middle school. I was on Firiona Vie, in the guild League of Honour, if anyone is familiar.

I'm asking this here because my searches have failed me. Running EQ on a modern system with modern resolutions is leading to itty bitty text that I can't seem to get to scale up. Is there an easy way to boost the font size, or scale up the interface relative to the resolution? When I've looked for answers, I see info about a new UI engine on the main version of EQ, but nothing about emulated versions.

Feel free to delete this if this is the wrong place to ask, or if there's something super obvious I'm not seeing.
A suggestion would be to use @grimmier tools linked above. He has scaling built in to each component, can be used on Lazurus as well. I use most of them, and they work well.

I have a quote I live by these days..."Getting old SUCKS". Just saying.

And yes Grim has scaling built into his stuff, really nice until you press alt - O to look something up and you immediately go to "squint mode". I also just lean forward until I can read it, get what I need, and then relax. What we do to play this game we are all addicted to.

Vrak

I play on a 4k screen, to get it to where I can see everything I do the scaling:
in the EQ folder right click eqgame.exe and go to properties -
Compatibility tab
change high DPI settings
-Check Override High DPI scaling behavior.
and set drop down to system. then in the windows scaling I have it at 150%.

I play on a 4k screen, to get it to where I can see everything I do the scaling:
in the EQ folder right click eqgame.exe and go to properties -
Compatibility tab
change high DPI settings
-Check Override High DPI scaling behavior.
and set drop down to system. then in the windows scaling I have it at 150%.
Does this affect the graphics or just the UI?

Question - Interface scaling? My eyes are killing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back