• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Is it ever worth using Enchanter slow over Shaman's? (1 Viewer)

juice999

the Degenerate
RedCents
1,145¢
One of my groups that I've been questing and running missions with has a Shm & Enc in it. I've been using Enc slow primarily, but have Shm AOE slow enabled because the Enc one has such a long cooldown.
I do not really ever use any other source of cripple in this group, so I have been under this impression that the debuff+slow was overall better than an additional 5% slow. However, now I'm starting to think that was always just wrong, and maybe the Shm should be the only one slowing in the group.

So, my question to someone smarter than me that has done the math on all of this; Is it ever worth using the Enc slow over the Shm if there's no other source of cripple being cast? Or should I just be doing all the slowing with Shm?

a case at which both is better: at high level, shamans and enchanters get debuffs attached to their slows, both of the debuffs stack.
a case at which enchanters is better: high caster dps groups cause shamans arent good adps with them. Its better cause of the enchanter not cause of the slow
a case where enchanters are better than shaman: when slow doesnt matter and you want crowd control
a case where it doesnt matter: When you're not using your shaman to heal cause your sk or paladin can heal themselves just fine without one

Last edited:
SHM slow AA cripples from 89 (Edit: 90) on, right?
Right, I guess beyond TBM that is the reality. I guess this is more about before that.
a case at which both is better: at high level, shamans and enchanters get debuffs attached to their slows, both of the debuffs stack.
a case at which enchanters is better: high caster dps groups cause shamans arent good adps with them. Its better cause of the enchanter not cause of the slow
a case where enchanters are better than shaman: when slow doesnt matter and you want crowd control
a case where it doesnt matter: When your not using your shaman to heal cause your sk or paladin can heal themselves just fine without one
This all makes a ton of sense. As with most things in this game, the reality is that it's more dynamic and about allocation of resources rather than raw numbers.

Nowadays in most cases on group content its not even worth slowing. Example being in my group and grinding current content my group is killing a mob in 20-30 seconds. (less with burns) So I tend to not worry about slow and use that time to dps and kill faster.

I use cwtn plugins on both chanter and shammy. I just set both to slow and dont worry about it. I think the shammy overwrites chanty slow.
But like darbes said above for group content slow really dont save ya much.. unless you got craptastic gear or your shammy has low AAs.

I have used both in a group with great synergy. Granted, I came at this issue initially with a mindset informed by the game paradigm 20+ years ago where overlapping capability made sense and could be maximized for efficiency. Even after being disabused of those notions by the state of game now, I still find the combo useful based on the situation. Don't laugh, but I'm still surprised by how much damage an ENC animation can do when fully geared and buffed. And if nothing else, your ENC can nuke. Everyone seems to forget that. It's not a statement for using an ENC over a MAG or WIZ, it's just a note that they are not limited to aDPS.

Shaman always. As for taking that time to DPS. It's clicking one button. If you can't do that while DPSing that's a problem. Also I posted A Shaman Master Class on crowd control. That is if your tank can't handle multiple slowed mobs.

Shaman always. As for taking that time to DPS. It's clicking one button. If you can't do that while DPSing that's a problem. Also I posted A Shaman Master Class on crowd control. That is if your tank can't handle multiple slowed mobs.
Yeah, I usually don't even run a tank in this group because I feel like they're overkill in group play. It's Brd/Enc/Shm/Mag/Mag/Wiz and relies on a lot of CC. I understand that slowing is usually not even really needed when in group content, but it's kind of necessary in my non-conventional quest group. And the nice thing is if I ever struggle with something like a difficult mission or something then it only takes me a minute or two to get a knight in there and cruise control it.
But I feel like 95% of group content is a complete joke (especially if you're in current raid gear).

Yeah, I usually don't even run a tank in this group because I feel like they're overkill in group play. It's Brd/Enc/Shm/Mag/Mag/Wiz and relies on a lot of CC. I understand that slowing is usually not even really needed when in group content, but it's kind of necessary in my non-conventional quest group. And the nice thing is if I ever struggle with something like a difficult mission or something then it only takes me a minute or two to get a knight in there and cruise control it.
But I feel like 95% of group content is a complete joke (especially if you're in current raid gear).
I always slow in group content. It doesn't make sense not to. It's pushing 1 button. It doesn't slow you down or get in the way of anything.

I always slow in group content. It doesn't make sense not to. It's pushing 1 button. It doesn't slow you down or get in the way of anything.
jeff bridges opinion GIF

Question - Is it ever worth using Enchanter slow over Shaman's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back