• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There is a suspension wave happening, we're still gathering information. Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - New class! (1 Viewer)

VIITEAVII

RedCents
383¢
So just for fun if you guys could make a new class for eq what would be your ideas? Id like to see a 2 handed tank maybe like a Lancer class from Lord of the rings mmo. IK we have shadow knight/pallys but lose a lot of ac when 2hander. Something that would give AC bonus on a 2hander instead of shield!

Guess your dream has been realized. Many tanks are using 2handed most of the time. Especially knights against any undead, their dps can be insane this expansion. Even some raid off tanks are using 2handed weapons nowadays.

We have always thought about a tank being able to stay alive in order to tank. Now with recent tools and dps of some tanks switching to more dps means the mobs are dead quicker.

So just for fun if you guys could make a new class for eq what would be your ideas? Id like to see a 2 handed tank maybe like a Lancer class from Lord of the rings mmo. IK we have shadow knight/pallys but lose a lot of ac when 2hander. Something that would give AC bonus on a 2hander instead of shield!
The only time I dont use two hander on my sk is either a big pull right at the beginning so I can shield flash just get time for all mobs to hit me and not the dps and healer. And if I need to offtank in raids for a bit. And even then it depends on what Im offtanking and for how long!

And a new class is just a no go for me. I would rather see some new stuff added to the existing classes instead. Something to spice it up. Instead of just the same old aas getting higher lvls and then the devs realizing that increasing it just for simplicity makes things Overpowered. Take Mortal Coil for example. It was getting a 6 sec increase in duration everytime they add a new lvl to it. Which was actually 12 secs due to the doubling of time from an aa. It was like 5 mins and 42 secs of it before a few patches ago that made it hard capped at 4 mins.

Maybe some class balancing too. But Im not sure that will ever be completely satisfactory so.

The Pyropugilist:

This hybrid class combines the agility and melee prowess of a monk with wizard spellcasting, focusing on fire spells. A pure DPS class that balances agro with physical attacks and fire spells.

Melee and Spell DPS:
Maintains high DPS, matching top-tier DPS classes. Hand to hand attacks are enhanced with fire-based spells and procs.

Rune Skin Procs: To compensate for the lack of mend and earthforce, there will be rune skin-like procs that proc often for a rune that will mitigate damages from all sources that don't have agro on the Pyropugilist. This is to ensure they would never be a tank or an offtank, but could survive raid AEs well, keeping some monkish survivability.

Limited Spellbook: The procs and spells would be fire/lightning They can cast but cannot have access to the full array of wizard spells nor the volume, reflecting their divided training.

Teleport: The class has no feign death but does retain some of the wizard's ability to teleport. Much like the MacroQuest warp feature, when this class is in a zone it can set up waypoints for itself and instantly teleport between them. This will allow for the class to be a puller if need be, but a risky one as they're squishy when they have agro. It also helps with quick corpse drags and rezzes or mobility between different sections foo raid events when raids are split.

Enchanted Fists: Like the monk, the Pyropugilist would be limited to only their hands. They may put class-specific weapons in their hands for stat purposes and proc focuses only, that will have no damage/delay. Their melee damage will be fixed like monks' used to be. Special physical attacks like kicks are unavailable. Instead, melee is enhanced through their magical training, to deliver powerful melee attacks imbued with fire properties.

Activated Abilities:
Most activated AAs involve channeling spells through melee attacks, at a very short range. This class must always be within melee range, will draw significant agro, and will require hands-on management to play. i.e., there will be no agro drop. I feel like this would be a really awesome combat style that is a true non-utility DPS.

Offering no utility to the group, their DPS should be far-and-away the highest in the game.

I have a couple of ideas. A Wild Man. He doesn't wear any armor or use any weapons. He depends on animals to attack for him.

The Other class would be an Assassin like a Rogue but with two swords. A Ninja like character.

I have a few other ideas. Including a Dark Mage

I'd prefer them to do some sort of dual-classing instead of worrying about new classes at this point. Never gonna happen though, but would've been better than this persona ..umm..stuff.

If I were to make a new tanky class it would be geared towards mounted combat:
Massive 2h piercer lances that knock enemies prone with charge attacks or if critical hit they impale the mob on the lance and they take DoT damage for 4 rounds till they pull themselves off. The lance can hold an increasing number of mobs impaled on it and each mob cant get off till the guy behind him is off but his success in pushing back will force the guy behind him off the lance.

If your lancer gets knocked off the mount they can use 1h weapons and your mount will continue to act as an npc doing special attacks (kicks for horses, breath weapons for dragons, poison claw attacks for lizard mounts etc)

This would require a mount overhaul expansion with indoor mounts added that can climb on walls/ceilings like fire geckoes, upgraded drogmor that are more cave oriented each with specific attacks and the lancer class can tradeskill into "animal husbandry" and breed and cross breed different mounts to have specific powers and stats (certain abilities in their genetics and imbued into the eggs with research/magic, but after hatching you can use baking recipe's to strengthen their growth period as you raise them you maybe can buy plots of land with 3 levels of barns for growing and training your mounts (beastlords and druids can also train better pets here) and then you can use blacksmithing and tailoring to make leather and plate armor for your mounts to give even more power.

Edit: All pet classes can get better more specific pets through different plots of land, a necro can build a grave yard or a ziggurat to make different undead skeletal pets or golems and make the skeletal pets be trainable to be sword and shield or archer or rogue with backstab etc. the golems can be like the flesh stitched golems in dire wind cliffs or like Deathrattle and maybe do an AE splash attack or have a toxic fume AE effect when in range.
Same for enchanters and mages, enchanters can have a magic workshop plot where they craft better animated weapons to maybe get things like AE swirling dagger attacks to AE kill with their pet while they AE stun and maybe be able to have locked in items so if you give your enchanter pet a 50k weapon it will always be summoned with that weapon but that would probably be an epic level quest item to maybe imbue your magic workshop with that item slot so all your pets are summoned with specific gear sets already on them. mages can have different elemental land plots that upgrade their elementals to have better spells more AE damage or specific abilities like the earth pet can sink into the ground and reappear as an encircling stone spike trap that impales the mob in place and does Dot bleed damage same with the air pet, it turns into a tornado that picks up a few mobs and holds them immobile while it does ae bludgeoning/piercing damage.

This could be used as a solo class where you kite mobs by impaling them doing big damage plus DoT damage and drive in circles and keep RE-impaling the mobs till they die or if in a group you can pull by literally skewering your prey and running it back to the group to have everyone beat it to death before it can pull itself off the lance all attacks on skewered mobs are with each classes bonus i.e. rouges always backstab skewered mobs, wizards always crit etc.

Lots of room for ideas here but that's the basic idea.

I absolutely loved reading everyone's ideas so far!

I'd prefer them to do some sort of dual-classing instead of worrying about new classes at this point. Never gonna happen though, but would've been better than this persona ..umm..stuff.
Agreed Persona's sounded cool until put into the game not quite what most imagined!

I really like the idea of a character that doesn't wear armor. But perma charms any mob in game as a pet. Has no mana no skills beyond controlling the pet. Is useless meleeing.

And the two sword assassins that can sneak into an area and kill a mob. The 1hs does so much more damage than the piercer. It wouldn't make the Rogue Obsolete they could have AA where they worked together in groups etc.

And A Battle Mage. A cross between the DD spells of a Necro and Shaman and a Warrior

Or by contrast a Battle Mage a Wizard that has tanking skills.

I'd love to see another ranged fighty type. Something like a cross between a ranger and berserker perhaps, that uses two-handed weapons from range, attacking mystically across the distance. Their weapons could have range limits like a bow and they could be limited to leather or cloth. Oooh. Cloth. Like a wizard that can only cast some basic wiz spells, but has learned how to channel his melee attacks across distance like spells. That could be cool.

Some sort of Fanatic Battle Priest.
It could be like necromancer or SK, depending on gear, or more focused on Holy spells, like a paladin. This would make it more DPS, than a healer. Imbues fists to do most of the damage, is protected with unholy/holy aura, so no need for plate anymore. Could tank somewhat ok, in normal content. Can do burst damage via summon undead army, or calling some divine creatures to help.

A melee dps healing class kind of like a disciple in vanguard / monks prenerf in wow would be cool, no reason this can't be clerics with a couple tweaks. A silk based caster class based around a mix of melee/ spell dmg.

maybe instead of a class I'd like to see a roulette type feature based around procs empowering abilties. like GoM but instead of a free cast you get 50-100% dmg on a certain spell. Or a combat ability morphs into something empowered when you hit a crippling/critical blow above a certain damage threshold. Something semi-passive that boosts what you're already doing i suppose. Similar to the rogues chance to triple BS. massive strike.

I would love to see a cross between a cleric and a DPS. No pallies don't count. I main and pally. I just want to be able to actually play a cleric without having to rely on other classes. As we all know the tank merc is trash so when I want to go fart around on my cleric I have to do so in a 105 and lower zone. yes I can solo there but a single fight takes forever. Just give me some dps. I mean I am not asking to be like a true dps class, but we really need something to make us more than heal bots.

A melee dps healing class kind of like a disciple in vanguard / monks prenerf in wow would be cool, no reason this can't be clerics with a couple tweaks. A silk based caster class based around a mix of melee/ spell dmg.

maybe instead of a class I'd like to see a roulette type feature based around procs empowering abilties. like GoM but instead of a free cast you get 50-100% dmg on a certain spell. Or a combat ability morphs into something empowered when you hit a crippling/critical blow above a certain damage threshold. Something semi-passive that boosts what you're already doing i suppose. Similar to the rogues chance to triple BS. massive strike.
There was also a one on Vanguard like this I recall, was a cool idea and worked pretty well in it

Ill touch on the crazed realm.

This has been discussed before but has always caught my eye if it ever did happen.

Class: Merchant
Race: Variety
Special abilities: Hire multiple "mercenaries" as pets to aid you in battle. (No more than 3 Full on pets. No more and no less)
Special Spells: Mixture of Hybrid and can "Borrow/Buy" spell copies from other classes. Can cast but with 80% reduction in time on the buff but 5 uses only.
Pros: Can make expanded bazaar bags to sell more items. (This class specific and can only be used by this class)
Cons: Spell caster only. CAN NOT MELEE lol.

Let the discussion begin :)

Discussion - New class!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back