• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - research ! (1 Viewer)

RedCents
100¢
hello all maybe someone can help me wrap my head around this confusing research stuff, I did the trophy quest and then made runes all the way to 294. i read somewhere that in order to actually hit 350 skill you need to learn like 2k recipes or some such and the post had a link to eq traders corner spell research quick list. So i dug in and started the mind numbing slog of learning the spells, i made a couple hundred of them all the way to 84 skill. it always tells me i fashioned something new but occasionally it tells me i have learned the recipe blabla. When i hit the search recipes bar in the trade skill window it lists the recipes i know but the majority of the spells i am fashioning do now show up there. all the inks and tomes and hides are there but most of the spells are not, am i wasting my time learning all theses? am i doing something wrong? like i said i am 294 skill and all these spells are low level. super confused thanks for any input.

For any tradeskill work post 300 You REALLY want to grab soulbanshee's parser. I think the latest versions can be found here:

Use the /outputfile command in game to output known recipes for a given tradeskill and then point the parser at it. It will give you a list (browser based) of all the recipes you need to learn.... along with
How many you know and how many you need to get to 350 in that tradeskill
which expansion most of the recipes belong to
Links to the recipe on EQTraders and Alla's
allow you to sort by trivial/expansion/etc.
list any missing recipe books and/or freebie recipes

If I remember correctly you need 2470 recipes to max out research. It has, by far, the most recipes needed to max out vs. any of the other tradeskills. It takes a while. On the upside it is one of the most logical of tradeskills as far as combines go, and if you have the right mats, you can do the combines by standing in 1 spot in PoK.

Edit:
With research, there is a delicate balance between learning recipes that will give you skill ups. With a bit of forethought you can work spell recipes/binding powder recipes/paper cleaning recipes in such a manner that you are doing dark blue trivial combines to level up while maxing out learning various recipes that add to your end total. It's a bit of a mental juggle but in the end worth it I think vs. doing 1 recipe over and over to get your skill maxed. Doing it this way, I hit 325 (after purchasing the AA's) once I had maxed my tradeskill trophy.

As a side note, when doing tradeskills... buy up to rank 3 of the tradeskill AA, but do not go above that until you have maxed your trophy. This locks you in at 300 without allowing you to go over that until you spend more AA. To evolve your trophy you need to do recipes that are non-trivial and there are quite a few that are not much above 300. I you have spent AA to gain ranks above 3, as soon as you hit 300 you will automatically jump to whatever skill above 300 you qualify for based on the number of recipes you know.

Another tip, which you may already be doing, that applies to research more than any of the other tradeskills....
Put your research kit in your top inventory slot so that whatever you buy goes into it.
Put your papers/stacks of common 'ink additives' in a bag next to it.
Using soulbanshee's parser, right click/open in a new tab 10-20 recipes that use the same/similar types of paper.

Put additive/paper in your kit
open vendor and buy quill/thickener/inks for a given spell
hit combine, close vendor, and put spell into an empty bag (this allows you to sell spells all at once to vendor by selling contents of the bag)
close tab for that spell
rinse repeat... a bunch.

IMO getting the 350 research ach. is one of the, if not the, biggest PITA achievements in game. Good luck!

I'm not sure this applies to you, but if you are maxing tradeskills for the Artisan's prize, you do NOT need 350 in all of the 9 "normal" tradeskills. According to Alla's Artisan Prize page , you only need 420 points of the total 450 there are available (50 above 300 X 9). So, for instance, if you have ignored the research skill and maxed the other 8 tradeskills, you already have 400 points, and need only 20 more in research.

Also, I believe the "extra" tradeskills - Tinkering, Alchemy, Poison Making - also count!

IRL - research !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back