• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There is a suspension wave happening, we're still gathering information. Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

IRL - Returning player Hardware Q&A (1 Viewer)

RedCents
339¢
Hey guys, I'm coming back to EverQuest for the first time since 2008, and intend to box my own group (or more) and I'm in something of a quandary in regards to a choice between 2 systems I'm thinking of using. Perhaps someone has some input to help me resolve my indecision.

Setup #1:
Dual Xeon E5-2699 v3 @ 2.3GHz
128GB DDR4 Reg/ECC RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580

Setup #2:
Beelink SER7 Max Ryzen 7 7840HS @ 3.8GHz
32GB DDR5 RAM
AMD Radeon 780M Integrated

They both come out to about the same price. Back in the day, I used to 3-box using an old ASUS SMP motherboard with dual P3-1000MHz processors and 4GB of RAM, Windows XP Pro, and some 4x AGP AMD video card whose name I don't even recall. I ran circles around other people who had more modern multi-core processors, though loading a 4th character was like trying to push through mud face first.

I know EQ is still pretty CPU-intensive and I've always been a "more cores cheap!" fanboy, but at the same time I recognize I probably won't play EQ exclusively forever, so having some kind of future proofing would be nice. The 780M and 32GB of RAM seem to be the biggest drawback to the Beelink, but it's small and supports all the latest instruction sets/technologies natively.

I love that Xeon core count, and 128GB of RAM sets my drawers ablaze. But if I can get similar performance out of the Beelink (at least at the 1-2 group level), I may just jump on that for convenience. I may not have to move a computer around very much, but I'm a 51yo combat vet and my body ain't in the best of shape anymore; lugging around an HP z840 vs something small enough to bolt to the back of the monitor might be enough to swing me.

If any of you have any experience with the 7840HS and/or especially the 780M GPU chipset, I'd appreciate your insights.

Ok, well, that wasn't a good sign. Anyway, I decided that both were going overboard, considering I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing (yet) in regards to boxing more than 3 toons at once. But that's manually, with zero assistance or automation.

Went with what a member had suggested previously: z440 with a single Xeon E5-2699 v3, 64GB Reg/ECC RAM, 1TB SSD hard drive, and an AMD RX 570 (Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB). Even got a 32" Acer 1500R curved FHD monitor to go with it. Everything refurbished and under warranty by the seller, minimum 1 year. Cost me a little under $600, and *should* be an absolute beast.

Now I wait for all the disparate components to show up on my doorstep, slap it all together, sacrifice a goat, and pray before hitting the "Power On" button. God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be installing Everquest for the first time since 2008, and after that...I begin my multiboxing journey!

And thank God for Heroic characters and personas: I won't have to level up a tank (Shadowknight) from scratch, and my Enchanter main can make a Gnome (bleh!) Rogue persona to finally start down the road of the only 2 Tradeskills I never worked on. That Grandiose Consigned stuff should keep me going until I can gear up from missions and what-not.

Can't wait to see how I try and juggle 6+ character subscriptions. Can you really not use ANY "Prestige" items unless you have an active Gold/All Access subscription?

Had a guild member buy one of these and he said it runs a group with no problems.

Price: $300

CPU: Intel celeron N95 - 4x core @ 3.4 Ghz
GPU: Integrated
RAM: 32 GB
SSD: 1TB

If you are looking for bare minimum - single group computer ...

Ebay.com

The one I pulled the trigger on cost about the same. I did debate for a long time about to whether to use Ebay or Amazon; I prefer Amazon because of the easy return/replace/refund policy, but ultimately, I couldn't find what I needed there. And I know the company I went with on Ebay, there won't be any issues with repairs if something fails.

I also contemplated using an integrated GPU, but came down on the side of a dedicated card to make sure there was enough VRAM for textures and what-not. It comes with a pre-installed R5 340x with 2GB; depending on its performance, I may end up just sitting on the RX 570 and saving it for a 2nd machine, especially considering the proprietary power supply/case design. I don't feel like breaking out the acetylene torch to cut that sucker apart and Frankenstein it back together again. A single 6-pin GPU lead is enough for an RX 570/580, and a 525W PS (regardless of HP's usual high quality component build) just can't handle the draw for anything bigger, anyway.

I figure if I ever become adept enough at handling multi-group setups, I can always buy another setup of the same kind and be able to run a full 54-man raid from just 2 systems, although I'd probably want to add some extra (cheaper) monitors to keep an eye on the key character in each group.

Finally got my 18c/36t Xeon set up and running; it came with all the latest firmware and BIOS updates already installed, which absolutely overjoyed me to no end. Had to use the RX 570 anyway, because that piddling little 2GB graphics card was just too wimpy. Maybe if I ran just a single instance it'd have been fine, but no way it could handle more than that.

Took me about a week to fully recover all 4 of my old accounts; in the process I had to make a 5th one to file the tickets from, and ended up making a Heroic 100 Magician. Haven't regretted it in the least, since his pet is now my MT. Got MQ2 installed and set up, but so far I'm just running social macros through use of the /dgae and /dexecute commands; RGMercs looks freaking awesome, but I'm pretty damn anal about my spell loadouts and I don't know how to set up my own scripts, so that's not turned on. KissAssist seems to be an auto pull/tank/assist setup, and since my Enchanter does the pulling and uses "/dgae /pet attack" to send in the clowns, with the Magician pet being the only one with Taunt enabled, setting it up to auto pull seems like a good way to wake up to a massive CR endeavor. I love my Enchanter, and he's a badass when I'm at the keyboard, but if I'm not paying attention he folds like a cheap piece of paper.

Anyway, the adventure begins! Currently going back and back-flagging all the older content I missed pieces of just to familiarize myself with EQ once again. I've just now grown comfortable enough to go hunting in the Level 100 Hot Zone (Shard's Landing); took on Pyrebeak with all 5 toons before I installed MQ2, and jeez, I was fat-fingering and ALT+TAB'ing to the wrong windows like crazy. I think I even had someone die. With MQ2, pulling and managing pets/DoTs/nukes is smooth as butter. Even crafted my own broadcast hotkeys to activate Radiant Cure, use Epic 2.0s from inventory, etc. Loving it so far. I can't sing the praises of this program enough, even if I never take advantage of its full feature selection!

But if you get tired of fat fingering everything and sitting there asking yourself what you are doing. Then you can switch to CWTN's plugins. Dude you cannot even imagine how much easier and less stressful your life will become. Seriously.

I spent the better part of a year and 1/2 just learning how to first setup and then fine tune the different software offered here. KissAssist, MuleAssist, RGMercs (which I still use for my Bard) and then I discovered CWTN plugins and tried one out (Mage) and then on my WARRIOR and then on my CLERIC. I was like wow this is great. It was super easy to setup and use. So then I got the one for the ENCHANTER. Now you said you really like your ENC, so let me tell you, this is by far (my opinion here) the absolute best plugin of them all, hands down. It will slow the mobs, mez all the mobs and charm a pet and have it attack, and nuke, if the mob is still alive. My Enc became the toon I watched the most after this. Just pure joy to watch. And so much faster than I could ever be. Excellent plugin and worth every penny. I started to pull bigger groups of mobs because of the ENC performance. Well I got so used to using the plugins that when the Ranger and Druid ones were released I got those too, so now my whole group has them. Like I said, things got super easy after that. I really don't think I could go back to the others at this point.

Wait until you go through what it means to upgrade everything every 5 levels. Spells, gear and also your setup for any Lua's or other automation you have. They are easier to do now because of Lua's but you still have to do that EVERY 5 levels. Max level is 125 now, you do the math. I used to spend a good 2 hours just messing with my software. I will say I got to know all the different spells better because I had to look each one up to know what they do, but that took even MORE time. I read something one time that really made the lightbulb go off. "This is a game. If your not having fun then it is no longer just a game, but something else that is NOT enjoyable and therefore you have to ask yourself if it is even WORTH your time and money." CWTN's plugins eliminate all that setup time. You mem the spell and it auto detects it and starts to use it. You just decide where to go and what to kill lol. Like I said, EASY. And yes I know what people say about us, we are lazy and don't know how to play very well and get good. Well, I just hold up my middle finger to them and keep on truckin. I don't need them cause I have my own DAMN group. That I don't have to wait for them to login. And I can do the content with them and I get to see this game that I started playing back in 1999. And best of all? I have a good time and enjoy that time. I know I am pretty bloodthirsty, I like watching my group kick ass, watching them accidently pull 10 mobs and then cleaning house and kill them all. My toons are killers lol. And I like it. You all probably think I am nuts at this point. Well I am, cackle...you ever heard Kamala cackle? Now you know.

Just my 2 Redcents lol

Vrak

Vrak is right the top of the line is the CTWN Plugins. I own them all and they are worth it to me. I also have over 50 toons and a raid force.
If you can afford it the plugins are the way to go. If not the RGMERCS Lua on each toon will be fine. You could put the CTWN plugin on your Tank and Healer. It's well worth the $40. And if you try the Plugins I would suggest Tank and Healer.
The answer to what toons to play really is whichever you want. Because in the end you'll probably roll more anyway. Whether it's to replace a guy in the group you aren't happy with or to start a new group.

Also not sure where you are but if you are on FV then PM me I can help with plat and gear.

I've given the RGMercs class config files a cursory glance, but it's Greek to me; I can't really tell how to assign a spell to a particular spell gem so I can manually cast it via a "/dex 'CharName' /cast #" without having to rewrite all my macros, or if that's even possible while RGMercs is running the toon. I'm using my Mage pet as tank, so I'm reluctant to go full auto on the healing, but every time I encounter Iremaw in Shard's Landing someone dies because I can't adjust to the aggro switch fast enough. That kitty has a bad habit of locking aggro onto a healer.

You can play a Mage with 1 button literally

You just make an EQ Social/ Macro
/Cast beat DD
/Petattack
/Cast beat DD
/Petqswarm

That's an over simplification but you get the idea.
If you are going to buy Plugins The Tank and the Healer should be first. You think you can't trust full auto healing but it can cast a hell of a lot faster than you can.

I'll look into the Spell thing and get back to you with help.

Real tank, lean into the automation instead of shying from it, smooth sailing. If you don't mind rougher seas, keep doing what you are doing, you'll figure it out (plenty of dudes have, and at the end of the day most of us are just parrots and a lot of stuff can work that we don't squawk about).

You can make and edit custom configs on RG Mercs - Lua Edition! It requires some very basic knowledge, not much more than a Kiss INI tbh. However, automation here is designed to replace your gameplay more often than augment it, especially for non-tank classes, as tanks tend to be the preferred drivers in the boxing community (with good reason).

Real tank, lean into the automation instead of shying from it, smooth sailing. If you don't mind rougher seas, keep doing what you are doing, you'll figure it out (plenty of dudes have, and at the end of the day most of us are just parrots and a lot of stuff can work that we don't squawk about).

Oh, I'm definitely getting that already. I don't think I've even tried setting the Mage's pet as group MT yet; will it persist after pet death/re-summon or does it have to be reset every time the pet name changes? I've set the Mage's XTarget #20 as his pet so it always automatically updates HIS XTarget, but I haven't yet found a way to set everyone else's XTarget #20 to someone else's pet; maybe when I set that pet as MT, I can set everyone else's XTarget #20 to Group MT and that'll settle things, but I don't have them loaded up now to be able to check.

You can make and edit custom configs on RG Mercs - Lua Edition! It requires some very basic knowledge, not much more than a Kiss INI tbh. However, automation here is designed to replace your gameplay more often than augment it, especially for non-tank classes, as tanks tend to be the preferred drivers in the boxing community (with good reason).

The Cleric can't go full auto soon enough, as far as I'm concerned. During combat especially, I run him almost exclusively through the chained social macros I've set up. I just want to be able to tweak his spell gems / spell set loadouts to conform to everyone else's, in case I should want to run him on manual for a short period. That way I won't have to relearn a new sequence of buttons to press for the desired outcome just for him.

The Cleric can't go full auto soon enough, as far as I'm concerned. During combat especially, I run him almost exclusively through the chained social macros I've set up. I just want to be able to tweak his spell gems / spell set loadouts to conform to everyone else's, in case I should want to run him on manual for a short period. That way I won't have to relearn a new sequence of buttons to press for the desired outcome just for him.
In that case, you can either snag someone's Kiss/Mule INI and edit the gems to your own, you can edit the RGL config as I said, or use the BYOS (bring your own spell) feature of the Class plugins (most of them have the option to my knowledge but I am not sure on cleric specifically).

For mercs Lua, since you mentioned it previously:
Once you make a copy to customize (grim just added a button for that!), it has a spell setup listing near the bottom where the table name (for the spell line) is entered , and it isn't hugely hard to edit (you can simply have one entry per gem rather then the multiple conditional entries that are there). You may wish to spend a tiny bit of time make sure the spells you select also have entries in a rotation to actually be used. I am simplifying a bit, but feel free to hmu on discord if you need specific help!

I think this is stopgap though, it's safe to say that in both my experience and the many accounts I've read of others, that as we learned (and leaned into it as I said), the need or desire to jump in manually diminishes or fades entirely.

You could always retool just a couple of ohcrap buttons, but tbh, it isn't as fast as setting those buttons up on your tank/driver!
Using things like buttonmaster and dannet, most of my manual control on other toons is done that way. Ohcrap heals, cothing, much more. No need to switch characters/screens to get something done!

If I do need to manually play a dude, I can simply remem my old spells sets, and I'm in business.. but the times I do that are fading into memory.

Anyhow my dude keep having fun, thanks for reading my ramble and may your week in and out of EQ be fruitful.

In that case, you can either snag someone's Kiss/Mule INI and edit the gems to your own, you can edit the RGL config as I said, or use the BYOS (bring your own spell) feature of the Class plugins (most of them have the option to my knowledge but I am not sure on cleric specifically).

For mercs Lua, since you mentioned it previously:
Once you make a copy to customize (grim just added a button for that!), it has a spell setup listing near the bottom where the table name (for the spell line) is entered , and it isn't hugely hard to edit (you can simply have one entry per gem rather then the multiple conditional entries that are there). You may wish to spend a tiny bit of time make sure the spells you select also have entries in a rotation to actually be used. I am simplifying a bit, but feel free to hmu on discord if you need specific help!

I think this is stopgap though, it's safe to say that in both my experience and the many accounts I've read of others, that as we learned (and leaned into it as I said), the need or desire to jump in manually diminishes or fades entirely.

You could always retool just a couple of ohcrap buttons, but tbh, it isn't as fast as setting those buttons up on your tank/driver!
Using things like buttonmaster and dannet, most of my manual control on other toons is done that way. Ohcrap heals, cothing, much more. No need to switch characters/screens to get something done!

If I do need to manually play a dude, I can simply remem my old spells sets, and I'm in business.. but the times I do that are fading into memory.

Anyhow my dude keep having fun, thanks for reading my ramble and may your week in and out of EQ be fruitful.
You know what? You're right. I never switch to him outside of buff times anyway; I think it's past time to accept this is what I got the program for in the first place, set RGMercs to run, and trust the people who made it. Because I absolutely cannot switch between 5-6 characters while trying to switch targets and juggle heals/cures + nukes and pet commands all at once; not in a high pressure situation. In much older content it's a breeze, but when seconds count, my response time just doesn't keep up with the computer's. Tonight when I do my Teek hot zone quest run, I'm gonna go full auto.

Haha that's the spirit!
You will meet some frustrations, automation isn't perfect, but asking questions and reporting issues will go a loooong way in that, and you seem like the sort of dude who will have trouble with neither.

I can play 6-10 accounts with mid to low setting on my Beelink SER5 Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 5560U(Up to 4.0GHz) 6C/12T, Mini Desktop Computer 16GB DDR4 RAM 500GB NVMe SSD I got for $190.43 shipped for a 2nd pc to run mq2grind

I run an MSI Laptopt... I7, 4070m.. 64g ram...

at around 10 char, I find I have more trouble than anything..... the pc doesn't even stutter and I keep all settings on.

So with the systems you are talking about..... you should be able to run two raids at a time.

IRL - Returning player Hardware Q&A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back