• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There is a suspension wave happening, we're still gathering information. Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question - What is the best way to initialize a variable when logging in? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
459¢
I want to define a couple of global variables as soon as my character logs in. I tried using MQ2Events with a “Welcome to EverQuest!” trigger but for some reason that is not working properly.

I can probably accomplish this with some sort of MQ2React condition that checks something silly that will always be true, but that feels dirty.

Is there a recommended way to define custom variables when you login?

Last edited:
For starters we need to know what you're using to code these variables.
Macro?
Plugin?
Lua?

People will be able to better assist you with all the information needed.
For example, I could tell you that you could achieve this with a plugin using the gamestate and any number of the built in exported functions used for creating a plugin. But if you're writing stuff in lua someone else would likely be able to better assist you. If you're using a macro I could tell you to try lua or a plugin instead because while macros work, it's just not a real language and you'd be doing yourself a bit of a disservice starting with them as a learning tool when lua is available.

Likely you'll be able to achieve it with a .cfg file. https://docs.macroquest.org/main/features/cfg-files/?h=cfg

But honestly it depends on what your goal is making the variable.

I am using two variables to store Boolean values that will be set by triggers in MQ2Events and read by triggers in MQ2React.

I have everything working as intended with the exception of initializing the variables.

It looks like the CFG files you linked to are probably the way to go. I will experiment with that. Thanks.

Question - What is the best way to initialize a variable when logging in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back