• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There is a suspension wave happening, we're still gathering information. Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question - Window switching option (1 Viewer)

whytdrumer

RedCents
1,469¢
Because of the recent bans I was looking at a solution to easily switch between my EQ window. I love how MQ allows me to assign a quick key to each character so I can switch between the two. Is there a way to use this feature without "using" MQ so it doesn't look like I'm using a third party tool? I'm thinking of reducing my boxing size to 2-3 and manually box for a bit. Just trying to find a solution that allows me to quickly switch EQ windows.

Assuming your on windows I had some luck with two windows features which helped with this. In the past I would layout all the toons in a grid using fancy zones (a windows power tool),

Then there’s an accessibility setting that will enable any window you mouse was over.

It worked pretty well for a small number of toons - especially if there’s only one melee.

Because of the recent bans I was looking at a solution to easily switch between my EQ window. I love how MQ allows me to assign a quick key to each character so I can switch between the two. Is there a way to use this feature without "using" MQ so it doesn't look like I'm using a third party tool? I'm thinking of reducing my boxing size to 2-3 and manually box for a bit. Just trying to find a solution that allows me to quickly switch EQ windows.
Alt + Tab works good for two boxes, but its a mess when you have three. best thing would be three monitors with a box on each monitor in windowed mode.

I was just out doing the same thing, trying to find another way and to be honest, it sucks. If this is what it is then I think I am done.

I have a mouse hotkey for Task View in windows 11 to swap between non-driven toons on a second monitor. It is fast, albeit greatly aided by MQ adding character names to the title.

No need to use the multiple desktops, but it may aid you as well depending on what else you are running.

Doubt this is quite the answer for you but may be part of one.

Interested in what you come up with, let us know please.

Last edited:
For other reasons, years ago I set up my 4-then-6 accounts to run each from its own EQ folder. I realize this is not for everyone and has a couple of obvious drawbacks, but a huge bonus is that the thumbnails on the task bar are in the order of login and hover over them shows the window name (wtih toon's name). Makes it easy to switch.

Now this is interesting. Could I just duplicate my EQ folder 5 more times?
For other reasons, years ago I set up my 4-then-6 accounts to run each from its own EQ folder. I realize this is not for everyone and has a couple of obvious drawbacks, but a huge bonus is that the thumbnails on the task bar are in the order of login and hover over them shows the window name (wtih toon's name). Makes it easy to switch.

I'm aware you're asking for single screen solutions, but I think it's worth considering a multi-monitor solution. I trade options and equities all day so I have to have multiple monitors, but it's not out of reason to get a couple of second-hand units (if you're on a budget) and go that rout. Even integrated GPUs will handle several monitors. If desk space is an issue, you can also get a monitor mounting tree for cheap. I realize you weren't asking for this type of solution, but I think it might serve you better in the future.

I actually have two monitors. I'm wanting to start out with a 3 box but if possible get up to a 6 box without MQ. I love MQ and wish I could use it, but I also don't want to get banned haha.
I'm aware you're asking for single screen solutions, but I think it's worth considering a multi-monitor solution. I trade options and equities all day so I have to have multiple monitors, but it's not out of reason to get a couple of second-hand units (if you're on a budget) and go that rout. Even integrated GPUs will handle several monitors. If desk space is an issue, you can also get a monitor mounting tree for cheap. I realize you weren't asking for this type of solution, but I think it might serve you better in the future.

Yes. But the window name having the toon's name is due to MQ, so if you are trying for an MQ-free solution, this won't work..
I just run one folder and I still see toon names on the windows both at the top of the window and at the taskbar. I use the launcher.

Having separate folders does help with things like key bindings and config file issues but I think there are other ways around that that I am not familiar with. Using MQ I really don't bind many keys so its not something I have worried about.

Question - Window switching option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back