• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Intel or AMD? Pre-Built VS Custom? (6 Viewers)

Rusang

Learner of Many Things
RedCents
299¢
I'm looking to build/buy a new gaming PC.

My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember many moons ago EverQuest had an issue with AMD Processors so I always stuck with Intel when buying. Of course by now, it has been fixed I'm sure.

I have CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, and Cloud+, so please don't mistake me for a noob when it comes to technology. However, my question revolves around prices and time expenditures.

What is your opinion on Pre-Built VS custom? I have not built anything in years; how's the Pre-Built VS custom prices? Is it still within $200 difference as it was years ago, or are the markets making it more costly to Pre-Built? What's your Pre-Built manufacturer recommendation?

I'm not looking for technical (buy this Video Card) more so what's the market like these days?

I have mostly Razer accessories so I'd probably get a case I can connect with their software to keep the lights in sync. Beyond that I'm whatever... I'm too old to keep up

I prefer AMD and over the years have had zero issues with them in EQ. I also prefer custom build over a prebuilt.
Right now i'm sadly running a pre-built Intel box. I bought it in shitty covid times and paid WAY more than its worth but I needed an updated video card at the time and the cards were almost as much as a prebuilt and impossible to get. I'm going to be building a new box in roughly feb and i'll be going AMD I just haven't stared designing yet but will this month or early next month. Good luck!

I figured they solved those issues. I know of the recent Intel issues briefly, and how AMD is getting better but never learned their naming scheme.

I don't work in IT but along side them. I talk mostly about server infrastructure to them, rather than Gaming PC setups. I want a new desktop PC, just torn which way to go.

I prefer custom.

I have a guild member who 6x boxes on a form factor "mini PC' and can 6x on it for ~ $300-400.

If you plan to do 24 I'd get something beefy.

I have an intel i7-6700k w/ nvidia 1070 and it can box ~12-15 depending on what I'm doing.

I have an AMD 3950x with nvidia 2070 and it an box 30+ with no issues.

It all depends on what level of performance you want and how much $$$ you are wanting to drop on the machine.

You really can't beat the low end pre-packaged deals. Anything under $600-800 is really thin margin. Once you hit $1000+ you can start to save a cash but ....

Don't undervalue your time. It takes me ~3-4hr+ to assemble and test a new computer from scratch. There is value for just getting the machine and turning it on.

Ultimately not something someone else can answer but I'll try to throw in.
Not much has changed. Mostly just time vs money.

Do you pay the premium or have to take the time to shop around for individual parts?
Do you click a drop-down to give yourself however much RAM or larger SSD you wanted and see nonsensical price increases?
Could you absolutely not care less about PCs with glass cases that shoot laser beams while everyone seems to be trying to shove one down your throat?

I am not a fan of buying, I want a little more control and enjoy the homework to figure it out. I also don't buy top-of-the-line machines, and enjoy shopping for sales and deals, so that may be part of it.

If I absolutely had to buy something pre-built today it would likely be from Lenovo, as I am a fan of their laptops, and I frequently see their PCs on places like slickdeals where (when on sale) the prebuilt premiums seem to be somewhat under control (and even a decent value in some cases).

However, it is so dang easy to spec out a computer (using online articles/databases/etc), order near everything from amazon, etc, it is mainly just a matter of whether you CBA to spend 2 hours to build it and an extra 30 minutes to install an OS (remember hours of installs and floppies for drivers? lol). The time you spend shopping around and configuring prebuilt vs custom is likely to be commensurate.

I prefer AMD these days, and after many custom builds over the years I now buy pre-built. I just don’t have the patience for component builds anymore, especially the cable management. Maybe it’s old age setting in but I’d rather pay someone else to do it.

Tech - Intel or AMD? Pre-Built VS Custom?

Users who are viewing this thread

• T
  • E
  • D
Back