• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - if you were to start 6 classes to group today what would you start? (1 Viewer)

SHD, SHM, CLR, RNG, BRD, ZERK

I found that shaman alone didn't carry the same healing I needed with cleric.

at level 70 my SK (non raid geared) can easily tank 3-4 yellow con in-era mobs.

Without cleric (I tried with a group'd monk) I found we killed a lot faster, but when we got a bunch of adds the healing just wasn't there.

Brd/Shm/Enc/Mag/Mag/Wiz is the group I use to quest usually. It turns into a conventional raiding group (Pal/Dru/Enc/Mag/Mag/Nec) when I'm being serious about stuff. Both the Brd & Shm auras affect swarm pets and once all those pets get going it's pretty sick. I've been able to do every mission/quest with this group, only using double Air pets and the Bard as tanks. The group in general is very stun heavy, and most stuff in open world aren't stun-immune so that's a huge source of damage mitigation. Bard w/double stun procs, double air pet stuns, ench stuns, wiz stuns, and Bard stun defensive song if he's tanking a lot. Mobs are pretty much always stunned if they're not immune. They're also all in like near-BiS armor so if a caster gets aggro it's usually not a big deal and doesn't take me too long to pull it off with pet.

I've had a ton of fun with this group comp, but it is a little silly. I have an SK in my 2nd group that I will slot in when I'm feeling lazy and it completely trivializes the content. The Bard also alts to Paladin and if I switch to him it's more of the same. In fact, this group probably makes more sense as Pal/Shm/Enc/Mag/Mag/Wiz if you want a conventional group. There's also an argument that removes one of those mages for a Necro or Bst.

Basically, it's not the most optimal group to raid with but it's pretty great in open world while questing and muckin about, and I still love playing it even after making multiple optimized raid groups.

Can someone explain to me what makes BST so sexy these days in the box groups?

I currently run SK, Cleric, Bard, Wiz, Zerker, Monk/Mag

Been curious whether it maybe more fun to switch in a beast for the Wiz (even though Wiz DPS is insane, variety is nice).

Also how does Rog do in the LS days? It's the only class besides Ranger/Druid I haven't played at 125.

Been curious whether it maybe more fun to switch in a beast for the Wiz (even though Wiz DPS is insane, variety is nice).

Also how does Rog do in the LS days? It's the only class besides Ranger/Druid I haven't played at 125.
BST are good DPS, HUGE DPS on burns, and combat proc/fero/mana and end regen, and pet can off tank in a pinch (and bst can patch heal also). Once "modern" EQ started, they forked from shm and now both have tools for the group that are separate.

Bst does comparable damage to Zrk and brings 10x as much utility to a group. They're just the shit.

Bst would do good in that slot. Alternatively you could switch out Zrk for Bst and run the Mage. Just depends if you're looking for more of a melee or a caster group.
I personally believe that's your main basis for making any group: "Is this group going to be melee or caster?" Some people like to do hybrid groups and mix them together, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Rogue still brings a lot of damage although they are probably the lowest DPS out of all the melee classes at this point. Just like almost any class though, they bring a lot of unique utility. For that reason alone I believe they're very valuable to any melee group.
But don't listen to me because I'm a moron.

Last edited:
It's not like I'm saying they're bad at all? And I'm really not trying to start an argument here. I just meant their raw dps is generally outclassed by others. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I'm just going based off what I've seen in my play.
Since the body type changes, rog and rangers have been kings of melee dps. The recent change to zerkers brought them back up, but rogues in groups and raids shred stuff currently. I was commenting cause thats 180 out from what ive seen :ohdear:

"Rogue still brings a lot of damage although they are probably the lowest DPS out of all the melee"
This is staggering
Not sure what rogues your seeing or playing
They are killing it at whether its high level or just group geared.
Raid rogues are bursting 8 million dps on fights

SHD, SHM, CLR, RNG, BRD, ZERK

I found that shaman alone didn't carry the same healing I needed with cleric.

at level 70 my SK (non raid geared) can easily tank 3-4 yellow con in-era mobs.

Without cleric (I tried with a group'd monk) I found we killed a lot faster, but when we got a bunch of adds the healing just wasn't there.
Yea, unfortunately the shaman > all paradigm is a 100+ situation. They do lack in the healing department up until that point and are much better as a support role with slows/Dots pet and proc buffs in the 1-75 range

Conversely, cleric dps with proc hammers and DDs arent terrible in this era by contrast, more so if you hunt undead. In the same way shaman healing ramps, cleric dps viability drops

I found I was able to trust my shammy more at lvl 95 with a very well geared sk.

Since the body type changes, rog and rangers have been kings of melee dps. The recent change to zerkers brought them back up, but rogues in groups and raids shred stuff currently. I was commenting cause thats 180 out from what ive seen :ohdear:

Interesting to see this on rangers. Everyone seems to recommend bst, rog, zerk for melee. Recently monk has jumped in there.

I was considering leveling up a ranger just because they are a little more interesting than a pure melee class, but I wasn't sure where they actually sit in group dps.

Interesting to see this on rangers. Everyone seems to recommend bst, rog, zerk for melee. Recently monk has jumped in there.

I was considering leveling up a ranger just because they are a little more interesting than a pure melee class, but I wasn't sure where they actually sit in group dps.
Rangers have to bow + 2hd pierce, and be mana supported (they burn though it). Why they are not super popular with boxers, or hand players.

Rangers have to bow + 2hd pierce, and be mana supported (they burn though it). Why they are not super popular with boxers, or hand players.

How do they stack up in a group with bard, shm, bst support and using cwtn? From what I've gathered Rangers seem unhappy with their current raid dps, but I don't really care about that.

Granted any reasonable combination of dps seems fine in the group setting.

How do they stack up in a group with bard, shm, bst support and using cwtn? From what I've gathered Rangers seem unhappy with their current raid dps, but I don't really care about that.

Granted any reasonable combination of dps seems fine in the group setting.
Are you asking automated, or hand played?

For a melee group its hard to beat a SK,Bard,Shammy,BL,Rog,Ranger . Replace the ranger with a monk or Zerker if you like. Any group i make will have a bard in it

i have RNG in my group automation in tight spaces can be tricky... for that i swap him for rogue.... and I'm going to replace him with a monk ....
so im doing War,Clr,Brd,MNK,Zerk,BST,

Last edited:
IRL - if you were to start 6 classes to group today what would you start?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back