• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Software RGManager (beta) discussion (6 Viewers) v1.6.0.0

Just something I noticed and I foresee it being something that folks run into

if you have the new RGManager launched and hit the "X" to exit

1722943503863.png

And then try and launch RedGuides RGManager again, nothing happens

1722943516486.png

Because the "X" didn't exit, and RGManager is still in sys tray

1722943529372.png

Just something I noticed and I foresee it being something that folks run into

if you have the new RGManager launched and hit the "X" to exit

View attachment 63853

And then try and launch RedGuides RGManager again, nothing happens

View attachment 63854

Because the "X" didn't exit, and RGManager is still in sys tray

View attachment 63855
Yeah this is by design as per the original markup!

There is a togglable for this in the application settings:

moc.png

That should prevent it from minimizing to the toolbar on closing and exit entirely upon clicking the X!

It would probably be a good idea to add in to the mutex and maximize the window, I'll get on that!
yeah my point was more about trying to launch it should bring it back up if it is already loaded, so perfect!

First impressions, not a fan at all (except the map addition).
  • Color scheme makes the text harder to read as there is less contrast in dark mode; then WAY washed out in light mode. .
  • Its providing WAY more information than I need to just get updated. Which makes it feel cluttered.
  • Old client gives you the option to go straight to the resource in question by clicking on the name. Not seeing that option but I do see an option to quickly un-watch something by accident (which causes it to crash).
  • No separation between macro, Lua, plugin in one place like the previous client has.
Don't take this personal as I couldn't do much better my self. Just sharing my feedback on the project. Giving the ability in current form for the end user to unintentionally stop downloading a plugin, macro, or Lua is a bad idea and will cause more confusion / support posts than it will help I feel.

First impressions, not a fan at all (except the map addition).
  • Color scheme makes the text harder to read as there is less contrast in dark mode; then WAY washed out in light mode. .
  • Its providing WAY more information than I need to just get updated. Which makes it feel cluttered.
  • Old client gives you the option to go straight to the resource in question by clicking on the name. Not seeing that option but I do see an option to quickly un-watch something by accident (which causes it to crash).
  • No separation between macro, Lua, plugin in one place like the previous client has.
Don't take this personal as I couldn't do much better my self. Just sharing my feedback on the project. Giving the ability in current form for the end user to unintentionally stop downloading a plugin, macro, or Lua is a bad idea and will cause more confusion / support posts than it will help I feel.
Thanks for the feedback!

Not seeing that option but I do see an option to quickly un-watch something by accident (which causes it to crash).

Giving the ability in current form for the end user to unintentionally stop downloading a plugin, macro, or Lua is a bad idea and will cause more confusion / support posts than it will help I feel.

Could you please elaborate on these two points when you get the chance?

What were the steps performed that caused the application to crash while unwatching?

What are the steps performed to unintentionally stop downloading a resource?

Again, thanks for the feedback! Keep in mind this is a beta and development is still ongoing so expect there to be issues. On top of this, missing features can always be added as long as they're approved, so I appreciate it when folks let me know there's something lacking the old launcher had!

Don't take this personal as I couldn't do much better my self.
Also don't worry about it, I am not one to shy away from criticism. :)

If there is a problem, I want to address it and improve the application.

Any constructive feedback is fantastic and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts!

i got stuck on this for the past like 18 hours (i left it over night)
1723037931217.png
trying to hit the refresh and i get the error
1723037945264.png

just decided to exit and reload it

1723037997678.png

Attachments

• RedGuides_IonDebugger_ExcCatch_08072024_44a0db50-100d-4fba-8298-5f209e20e4a2.zip
    705 bytes · Views: 0
Thanks for the feedback!

Could you please elaborate on these two points when you get the chance?

What were the steps performed that caused the application to crash while unwatching?

What are the steps performed to unintentionally stop downloading a resource?

Again, thanks for the feedback! Keep in mind this is a beta and development is still ongoing so expect there to be issues. On top of this, missing features can always be added as long as they're approved, so I appreciate it when folks let me know there's something lacking the old launcher had!
I’m making assumptions based on the icon and column that says unwatch. I’m assuming if a user were to click on that they would no longer be watching that resource. If that truly is the case then they could unwittingly remove their plugins, Lua, etc. from the patcher.

As for the crash. When I clicked the unwatch option I got a pop up that I should have saved (sorry). It acted like the app crashed and then came back. It didn’t seem to actually do anything other than simulate what appeared to be a crash recovery and continue to work.

Currently at work typing on mobile. Sorry for any typos.

I’m making assumptions based on the icon and column that says unwatch. I’m assuming if a user were to click on that they would no longer be watching that resource. If that truly is the case then they could unwittingly remove their plugins, Lua, etc. from the patcher.

As for the crash. When I clicked the unwatch option I got a pop up that I should have saved (sorry). It acted like the app crashed and then came back. It didn’t seem to actually do anything other than simulate what appeared to be a crash recovery and continue to work.

Currently at work typing on mobile. Sorry for any typos.
No problem!

Clicking watch/unwatch in the watching column of the resource grids does watch/unwatch the resources but doesn't remove anything from the patcher. It just modifies whether or not you are watching the resource.

It will, however, remove the resource from the watched resources grid, but rewatching that resource will add it back and can be done via the all resources grid.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to add some form of confirmation when unwatching to prevent folks from accidentally unwatching resources.

Thanks for the feedback! If an error was thrown and you go to RGManager Directory -> lib -> bin -> Dumps the error log should be in there (you can also do this from the error window itself). Feel free to send that over to me when you get the chance, if you don't mind!

If not, and you encounter the error again, let me know what went on and I'll see if I can recreate it!

Maybe my ignorance here but if I unwatch a Lua resource, does that not stop it from downloading via the patcher like the current one does?

If so how does a user choose what is downloaded / not downloaded?

Maybe my ignorance here but if I unwatch a Lua resource, does that not stop it from downloading via the patcher like the current one does?

If so how does a user choose what is downloaded / not downloaded?
It does not, it just unwatches the resource from an API standpoint (which will also remove it only from the Watched Resources grid). It won't prevent you from being able to access the resource via the Manager.

In the resource grids, you can download each individual resource via their respective download/update buttons. MacroQuest and Maps can be downloaded from their respective pages.

Whenever there is an update, the resource grids have an "Update All" option that allows you to batch update all resources that require updating.

Ionis updated RGManager (beta) with a new update entry:

v1.5.0.7: In-Use handling refactor & potential refresh hang bugfix

Changes:
-Handling for in-use files associated with downloads has been refactored and are now handled prior to execution.
-Updater handling for RGManager/ResourceHandler cleanup has been refactored.

Bug Fixes:
-Fixed a bug where refreshing could potentially hang if the SEQ offsets path was modified manually outside of RGManager.

Read the rest of this update entry...

So... Not sure whether I just have a weird file structure that it doesn't like, but I have to go to settings every time I start this, and tell it where to find MQ/EQ. It doesn't save the settings. Once I point it to the directories, it no longer wants to do a new install, and the launch MQ button is available. For reference, my MQ install is in: C:\veryvanilla, EQ install in Users\public\daybreak game company\installed games\everquest. once pointed, that stays there, until a reset happens, at which point those fields are once more blank.

So... Not sure whether I just have a weird file structure that it doesn't like, but I have to go to settings every time I start this, and tell it where to find MQ/EQ. It doesn't save the settings. Once I point it to the directories, it no longer wants to do a new install, and the launch MQ button is available. For reference, my MQ install is in: C:\veryvanilla, EQ install in Users\public\daybreak game company\installed games\everquest. once pointed, that stays there, until a reset happens, at which point those fields are once more blank.
Do you have any files in the install directory set to read-only?

Having the MQ launch button available means that the existing resource properly exists and it's path is being read so we can eliminate that as an issue.

The path being blank does, indeed, mean that the settings aren't appropriately saving when the application exits it's environment.

Do me a favor:
1. Launch RGManager
2. Fill in the path fields
3. Fully exit RGManager (if Minimize on Close is enable, click the X -> bottom right toolbar -> right click the RGManager symbol and click exit)
4. Relaunch RGManager

Tell me if that paths show up after a full refresh of the settings. If not, it may be, as manydills said, a file protections issue preventing modification and we can take a stab at that if we need to.

Let me know!

While it's probably not a huge deal, can the RedGuides Manager be renamed like the MQ program is? If you leave that running and they choose to scan. Pretty easy to tie together using HWIDs etc, or am I wrong?

While it's probably not a huge deal, can the RedGuides Manager be renamed like the MQ program is? If you leave that running and they choose to scan. Pretty easy to tie together using HWIDs etc, or am I wrong?
If you're referring to process name obfuscation, both RGManager and MacroQuest perform this identically:
1724138743514.png

What you see in the processes tab of Task Manager is likely the assembly title, this is not the process name which is what is obfuscated for both MacroQuest and RGManager.

If what you're referring to isn't the current level of process name obfuscation that both RGManager and MQ share, feel free to clarify for me and I can look in to it! :)

Yep, that's what I was looking at. Sorry Ionis thanks!

/goes back to hiding..
Not a problem! Always good to make me do a double take, you never know when I've forgotten something! :)

If you have any more issues or questions don't hesitate to reach out!

can the watch icons maybe change to green if watching? they are hard to decern the \ through it when its that grey on grey.
Yeah! We can definitely change the stylization of the watch icons.

I'll make a card for it, I'm currently working on optimization, stylization & full handling so this will go great with what I'm currently doing.

So my speciality of asking the silly question

What is the aim of this utility as opposed to the existing launcher? ( read through here and cant see that anywhere - although I may as usual have missed it ! )

What is the aim of this utility as opposed to the existing launcher? ( read through here and cant see that anywhere - although I may as usual have missed it ! )
this is intended to replace legacy launcher. Please use and give feedback if you can, so we can have a better launcher :dance:

this is intended to replace legacy launcher. Please use and give feedback if you can, so we can have a better launcher :dance:
Yep exactly.

Current launcher was a great change from what was before it, and this will be a huge jump in stability, functions/features, upgradability, support, etc

would be awesome sauce if someone would kindly post a quick "how to" back up config ( ie things like autologin profiles etc )

happy to jump on it and break it thereafter :P

would be awesome sauce if someone would kindly post a quick "how to" back up config ( ie things like autologin profiles etc )

happy to jump on it and break it thereafter :P
Not sure if it is a guide, but it might be a good start:

Having the MQ launch button available means that the existing resource properly exists and it's path is being read so we can eliminate that as an issue.

The path being blank does, indeed, mean that the settings aren't appropriately saving when the application exits it's environment.

Do me a favor:
1. Launch RGManager
2. Fill in the path fields
3. Fully exit RGManager (if Minimize on Close is enable, click the X -> bottom right toolbar -> right click the RGManager symbol and click exit)
4. Relaunch RGManager

Tell me if that paths show up after a full refresh of the settings. If not, it may be, as manydills said, a file protections issue preventing modification and we can take a stab at that if we need to.

Let me know!
MQ launch button is not present until after I point the manager to the path. Once pointed in right direction, everything is fine, until I restart manager, and only option present is the install MQ button. Seems as if the path variable is never being saved/written out to ini, so each startup it just looks to whatever is its default path. And no files that I can find are set to read-only.

Hadn't run that machine for a week or so, since the toon I play there got a 7 day vacay, started up manager, it updated, and this time if found the path.... Voodoo, I tell ya!

MQ launch button is not present until after I point the manager to the path. Once pointed in right direction, everything is fine, until I restart manager, and only option present is the install MQ button. Seems as if the path variable is never being saved/written out to ini, so each startup it just looks to whatever is its default path. And no files that I can find are set to read-only.

Hadn't run that machine for a week or so, since the toon I play there got a 7 day vacay, started up manager, it updated, and this time if found the path.... Voodoo, I tell ya!
Strange but I appreciate the detailed breakdown!

I'll take a look and see what may be going on, saving/loading is moving more in the direction of a MVVM-type structure in this upcoming update so that may also remedy this issue!

Not sure if it is a guide, but it might be a good start:

That allows me to backup a lot of stuff

The main thing I would love to backup though would be the autologin stuff ( be a pain in the backside to have to input all the logins / characters again )

Ahh - ok - so basically move the config folder from one installation to the other - easy win :) all my login stuff, class plugins, buttonmaster settings etc - its all there :)

Hope this helps someone else :)

Have an update coming up here soon but wanted to give some insight in-regards to what to expect.

With the basic framework and functionality sorted, we're going to be moving more in to a MVVM style of handling in this upcoming patch!

While it may not look like much on the surface, this will allow expansion to be much cleaner and easier for future updates/functionality! As well, this should remedy issues being caused by improperly imported settings, saving/loading in-regards to file access and optimization!

I've done an immense amount of view model implementation so there may be some funky stuff here or there that I haven't caught so when the new update drops if you feel like something looks and/or feels off don't hesitate to reach out to me!

I have also modified the downloads structure significantly to be cleaner and have better handling, but total implementation of that will come with the handling suite in a future update.

As far as community suggestions are concerned, I have heard your cries and have made cards according to feedback! I will implement these vetted changes as they're approved moving forward, but even if something isn't approved and you feel strongly about it feel free to let me know and we can discuss it!

That's all for now, as always if anyone has any issues, concerns or suggestions feel free to reach out to me anytime!

I am currently aware of an issue with updating MacroQuest causing hanging due to event handlers.

I am looking in to this right now and will have a fix by tonight

Ok so been using for a little while daily

And even I haven't managed to break it . . . .

So from my perspective ( one that I personally pay some attention to ) its a green light job well done :)

Thanks to those that have been working it up :)

Software RGManager (beta) discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

• Robban
  • P
  • Ionis
Back